There's Little Love For Ubuntu's Unity Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
    Neither Unity nor Moblin are GNOME forks. Get a clue before you act like a smart ass.

Gosh, you are clueless...

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...buntu-1104.ars
    Well I consider them forks of the default gnome UI in a way... before you insult someone-- they use most of the default gnome apps, so they use gnome apps not the shell?? I consider that a fork of sorts... as they dont rely on the default shell.

And i did apologize at the end for anything that might have came out wrong at the end of my post as I said I was tired and that it was a rant, up 18hours busy I just needed to say a point.

So its not that im clueless but more the fact you are rude, see ?

Comment

Unity kicks ass. I don't understand what people are bitching about. I've been using Gnome-shell for many months now and after using Unity for few hours it's pretty obvious to me that Unity is the superior product. Sorry, I like gnome and I like Gnome-shell, but Unity's concepts are just better.

The only thing that sucks about it now, besides the fact that it's alpha software, is that it's based on Mutter, which is the source of it's slowness.

Compiz is a shithook faster and I expect that when Unity is running on Compiz instead of Mutter it'll be just as fast.

Comment

This is kind of like when KDE4 tried to add new desktop concepts and everyone screamed about how they missed the classic desktop. I saw this coming with Gnome-Shell, and Unity will do the same thing. Especially since one of the things Gnomers always say they appreciate is things just working and being stable, not changing too radically.

I imagine the distros will have a setting somewhere which will allow people to easily go back to classic mode, though, which may reduce the number of complaints. It will also slow down the adoption of the new shells.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Oh, thanks for the link! However, Ubuntu will NOT.
          The default (and the default was what you were referring to initially) will be Unity and that will require acceleration. Classic unaccelerated GNOME will be a fallback solution ? probably as long as LLVMpipe can't execute Unity with somewhat bearable speed.

Comment

Finally, a new image for Linux. I don't know how this will turn out (good I hope) but at least for now all of you have got to admit: There's someone other then Google finally trying to do his own thing on the Linux desktop space. Never saw Suse/RedHat/Debian/the other mainstream distro's do that (apart from changing the icons in Gnome/KDE; which is just annoying).

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
              The default (and the default was what you were referring to initially) will be Unity and that will require acceleration. Classic unaccelerated GNOME will be a fallback solution ? probably as long as LLVMpipe can't execute Unity with somewhat bearable speed.
              I'm pretty sure Compiz 0.9 can run without hardware acceleration. Unity will switch to that soon (if it hasn't switched already) so...

Comment

I;m surprised to hear you say this.

Originally posted by drag View Post
                Unity kicks ass. I don't understand what people are bitching about. I've been using Gnome-shell for many months now and after using Unity for few hours it's pretty obvious to me that Unity is the superior product. Sorry, I like gnome and I like Gnome-shell, but Unity's concepts are just better.

The only thing that sucks about it now, besides the fact that it's alpha software, is that it's based on Mutter, which is the source of it's slowness.

Compiz is a shithook faster and I expect that when Unity is running on Compiz instead of Mutter it'll be just as fast.
                I've read your posts in various forums and I pretty much always agree with you, but I really don't understand your position here at all.
                Like you, I've been using Unity/Gnome-Shell for many months (G-S longer, but Unity as soon as it was available) and while G-S is far from ready I've read the documentation, played with the code, added features to the shell and know the directions they are trying to go. Unity, to me, is a black box. I don't know how they came to their conclusions. I don't know what problem they thing they are solving. I don't see what it substantially offers that G-S doesn't, aside from seemingly less thought.
                While I've been happy with Mutter (especially since Florian added side-by-side window tiling, and it has been the only WM that has no tearing issues for me), it does seem less carefully engineered. From nearly the beginning Mutter was intended to have extensions (besides G-S). This was something Metacity wasn't able to easily do, yet the code for Mutter is based upon Metacity, and now they realise that they haven't implemented sufficient hooks for devs to extend it. I truly hope this gets fixed b/c part of the attraction of G-S, for me, was the possibilities for extension it offered. Regardless, I can't say that Mutter is slow for me (using first gen atom netbook, and 8400GS). Frankly, I've can't recall ever seeing a slow WM. Buggy, mem hungry, and ugly, sure, but not slow.
                People that are impatient for the appearance of G-S to change should try Florian Mullner's branch http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-sh...rview-relayout.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post

IMO both Gnome-Shell and Unity sucks ? they are based on ideas stolen from iPhone (OMG idiots) without any thought this approach isn't suit desktop at all: just see at apple what has much better UI expirience than OpenSource fanatics, it doesn't try to combine Mac OSX and iOS.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post
                    Okay.

Here's a week.

Go do it. Blog it, and submit the blog entry as a story to Phoronix. I'm sure they'll print it.
                    What I mean is a design with mockups and text. It'll be done before monday.

Will you look at it?

Comment

Originally posted by virtualspectre8 View Post
                      What makes you think they haven't designed a UI? They might have some super secret UI for months now, it happened with Unity Netbook, it could be the case with unity desktop. I'm sure they have concepts and designs that will evolve during development.
                      super secret UI?
                      Seems ubuntu fanboys don't understand how this open community development happens. Distros work with upstream, upstream works with downstream, they communicate, they discuss, they suggest... They don't have secrets and all work together.

Only alien here is ubuntu. Those who don't know better actually think ubuntu has something with development of GNU/Linux, no, they don't, they are good only in marketing. What have they done? New crippled notifications? Hacks for
                      notification applet? New font? New wallpaper? What else?

Redhat goes and hires nouveau developer, ubuntu goes and add one click install for nvidia binary driver, then later you read news and all that excitement how ubuntu (add funny codename here) will include nouveau driver...

No wonder many will leave that boat. Someone said gnome doesn't accept ubuntu modifications, how come they are accepted from all other distros but not from ubuntu? Because you don't develop secretly, you go to mailing list and suggest this, throw patch for that, discuss, that is how all we have today is made.

Comment

Working...
                      X