Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop To Get Rid Of GNOME's Shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you miss my point.

Using a Gnome desktop is a preference, but really, use Amarok & Digikam instead of the Gnome equivalents. Oh, and take Evolution and burn it, replace with anything else.

I mean choosing the applications you bundle and support not by what framework they use, but by how well it works. If there was 3 app bundle changes I would do to standard Ubuntu, it would be those 3.

Comment

And the same for KDE-based distros.

Please use Firefox as default instead of Konqueror. Konqueror is nice, but Firefox is in a different league. KDE-PIM for 3.5 rocked, but my experience in 4.x sucked, so use Thunderbird?
      Install OpenOffice by default instead of kOffice. not that KOffice doesn't have its nice parts (such as Krita which rocks hard, and KPresenter which is much more usable than Impress), but the Spreadsheet and Wordprocessor abilities of OpenOffice outmatches it.

Get rid of all the "politics" and use applications on merit, not on partnerships.

Comment

i dont use amarok, is bloted... unclear, rhythmbox is optimal for me

i use thunderbird, evolution doesnt save emails after system reinstall

under gnome every program looks ok for me, really

Comment

See, you make my point for me.
          Pushing Evolution just because it is a Gnome project is complete idiocy. Thunderbird is more usable in almost every case.

Note: I don't use Linux because I "hate" windows. I use it out of choice.
          That says much more than any political reason.
          Therefore I don't hate KDE because it looks like windows (or rather, MS admits that KDE influenced their design. I'd consider that a complement).

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
            What is up with this, "We are a GNOME distribution" and "We are a KDE distribution" nonsense?

Seriously, there is some apps from the GNOME camp that works better, and some from KDE camp.

Grow up people! This is not a feud, let the better app win!
            Whenyou start mixing applications from different environments,you end up with an inconsistent experience. Not only that but if you have to bundle all GNOME and KDE frameworks, the disk space on a CD is easily exceeded.

And the same for KDE-based distros.

Please use Firefox as default instead of Konqueror. Konqueror is nice, but Firefox is in a different league. KDE-PIM for 3.5 rocked, but my experience in 4.x sucked, so use Thunderbird?
            Install OpenOffice by default instead of kOffice. not that KOffice doesn't have its nice parts (such as Krita which rocks hard, and KPresenter which is much more usable than Impress), but the Spreadsheet and Wordprocessor abilities of OpenOffice outmatches it.
            I don't know what your problem is. openSUSE's defaults are KDE Plasma Desktop + Firefox with KDE integration (developed by SUSE) + OpenOffice with KDE integration.
            It's exactly what you want.

Comment

"Inconsistent Experience" -> only because politics and NIHS (Not Invented Here Syndrome) is ruining it for all. Gnome and KDE guys just plain refuse to work together. It almost seems like the few times they get it right is almost by accident...

This is just an outcry against politics, that is hindering the Linux ecosystem.
              You see this politics everywhere. BerkelyDB, GnuDB, MongoDB, CouchDB. each does a similar thing with similar efficiency, in a similar way, with similar licences. WHY is there so many of them?

Comment

"Inconsistent Experience" -> only because politics and NIHS (Not Invented Here Syndrome) is ruining it for all. Gnome and KDE guys just plain refuse to work together. It almost seems like the few times they get it right is almost by accident..
                I'm happy that GNOME and KDE don't have the same usability guidelines because I can't that the GNOME one. If they looked and behaved the same, there was no point in having more than one DE project at all.

GNOME and KDE work together on back-end services (DBus, PackageKit, etc.) and that's where it counts.

Comment

No, that is my point. They *DON'T* work together on back end services.
                  And If I want to write an app, that should appear and behave properly on KDE/Gnome/Xfce/etc... I can't.

DBus, PackageKit (or old HAL), is the exception, not the norm.

Note: DE is not all the apps behind it. It is just the DE. Why do I need to do hacks to get KDE apps working ok-ish in a Gnome-centric desktop. Why?
                  Why do I need hacks to get GTK apps to work ok-ish in a KDE-centric desktop.
                  Why?

*That* is my point.

When will this political nonsense stop?

Comment

No, that is my point. They *DON'T* work together on back end services.
                    Stop spreading lies.
                    They collaborate on back-end services, within freedesktop.org, co-host their annual conferences every two years (Guadec and Akademy together as Desktop Summit), etc.

Comment

Sigh.
                      Stop considering everything through rose-filtered glasses.

I dare you to actually ask yourself the question why there is so much cross-DE hate?

Comment

Working...
                      X