Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grigi
    replied
    "Inconsistent Experience" -> only because politics and NIHS (Not Invented Here Syndrome) is ruining it for all. Gnome and KDE guys just plain refuse to work together. It almost seems like the few times they get it right is almost by accident...

This is just an outcry against politics, that is hindering the Linux ecosystem.
    You see this politics everywhere. BerkelyDB, GnuDB, MongoDB, CouchDB. each does a similar thing with similar efficiency, in a similar way, with similar licences. WHY is there so many of them?

Leave a comment:

• KAMiKAZOW
    replied
    Originally posted by grigi View Post
    What is up with this, "We are a GNOME distribution" and "We are a KDE distribution" nonsense?

Seriously, there is some apps from the GNOME camp that works better, and some from KDE camp.

Grow up people! This is not a feud, let the better app win!
    Whenyou start mixing applications from different environments,you end up with an inconsistent experience. Not only that but if you have to bundle all GNOME and KDE frameworks, the disk space on a CD is easily exceeded.

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    And the same for KDE-based distros.

Please use Firefox as default instead of Konqueror. Konqueror is nice, but Firefox is in a different league. KDE-PIM for 3.5 rocked, but my experience in 4.x sucked, so use Thunderbird?
    Install OpenOffice by default instead of kOffice. not that KOffice doesn't have its nice parts (such as Krita which rocks hard, and KPresenter which is much more usable than Impress), but the Spreadsheet and Wordprocessor abilities of OpenOffice outmatches it.
    I don't know what your problem is. openSUSE's defaults are KDE Plasma Desktop + Firefox with KDE integration (developed by SUSE) + OpenOffice with KDE integration.
    It's exactly what you want.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    See, you make my point for me.
    Pushing Evolution just because it is a Gnome project is complete idiocy. Thunderbird is more usable in almost every case.

Note: I don't use Linux because I "hate" windows. I use it out of choice.
    That says much more than any political reason.
    Therefore I don't hate KDE because it looks like windows (or rather, MS admits that KDE influenced their design. I'd consider that a complement).

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    i dont use amarok, is bloted... unclear, rhythmbox is optimal for me

i use thunderbird, evolution doesnt save emails after system reinstall

under gnome every program looks ok for me, really

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    And the same for KDE-based distros.

Please use Firefox as default instead of Konqueror. Konqueror is nice, but Firefox is in a different league. KDE-PIM for 3.5 rocked, but my experience in 4.x sucked, so use Thunderbird?
    Install OpenOffice by default instead of kOffice. not that KOffice doesn't have its nice parts (such as Krita which rocks hard, and KPresenter which is much more usable than Impress), but the Spreadsheet and Wordprocessor abilities of OpenOffice outmatches it.

Get rid of all the "politics" and use applications on merit, not on partnerships.

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    I think you miss my point.

Using a Gnome desktop is a preference, but really, use Amarok & Digikam instead of the Gnome equivalents. Oh, and take Evolution and burn it, replace with anything else.

I mean choosing the applications you bundle and support not by what framework they use, but by how well it works. If there was 3 app bundle changes I would do to standard Ubuntu, it would be those 3.

Leave a comment:

• NomadDemon
    replied
    gnome-ubuntu of course

i hate look and feel of KDE it reminds me windows...

gnome-ubuntugnome is more friendly for me.

gnome shell isnt gnome

Leave a comment:

• grigi
    replied
    What is up with this, "We are a GNOME distribution" and "We are a KDE distribution" nonsense?

Seriously, there is some apps from the GNOME camp that works better, and some from KDE camp.

Grow up people! This is not a feud, let the better app win!

Leave a comment:

• BlackStar
    replied
    I applaud Canonical for taking such a bold step. The conservative Linux community will of course reject this in their usual duplicitous manner ("we have KDE and Gnome, why would we need anything else?") but, as Conan used to say, to hell with them! Our ecosystem cannot evolve without taking risks.

Obviously, Unity is not ready for prime-time right now but Canonical is putting some serious muscle behind it. I have nothing but respect for smspillaz (Compiz) and he deserves to be recognized for his efforts. His experience will help make Unity shine.

As for GNOME Shell, I think it's a lost cause. I really wanted to like it, but its developers still haven't managed to make something useful after 2 years. Their attitude doesn't help either and I wouldn't be surprised if it was rejected for GNOME 3 in its current state.

Leave a comment:

• Nevertime
    replied
    Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
    Stop making bullshit up. I use openSUSE on different PCs since 10.3, two of them with NVidia GPU (one with Radeon) and never were the NVidia drivers from the official repository causing kernel panics.
    Agreed. I've used opensuse on multiple computers including ones with nvidia gpus... sad that people hate on a distro just because they don't know how to install a driver.

As for apt vs zypper, they're almost the same except zypper has more functionality. I don't see why someone would use apt over zypper unless the just came from a debian distro and didn't realize that they simple need to write zypper instead of apt-get... That's why they dropped apt for suse right? There was 0 advantage in using apt so it was a waste the time.

If silly little deb fanboys, who think it at all about the 3 little letters at the end of package files, gave opensuse a proper chance and checked out the build service they'd see the old arguments of deb vs rpm are dead. It doesn't matter any more... not that there's really any real difference anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X