KDE's Plasma To Be Reworked, Use More OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    I meant he stopped using KDE, because it wasn't in production state yet when Fedora started shipping it and many things were simply breaking and missing [...]
    Sure, I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      I meant he stopped using KDE, because it wasn't in production state yet when Fedora started shipping it and many things were simply breaking and missing. Not all of the distributions were shipping KDE 4.0 those times and those who did shouldn't be treated seriously.
      Huh and what about the KDE team, don't they have some responsibility in this? After all they where the ones who released the broken product in the first place. So how seriously should we take them? Seriously I'm getting a little fed up with the KDE excuses. It's not the fault of KDE, it's the fault of:
      • The Distros
      • The Graphics Drivers
      • D-Bus
      • GStreamer

You can fill in the rest, just remember it's never the fault of KDE!

Comment

It was clearly stated in the release notes that 4.0 was not meant for end users, only for developers and early testers. If you are not a developer, why have you installed it? Some distros picked it, but is it really the fault of KDE, they have stated clearly, that this is not a finished product.

Comment

Originally posted by stikonas View Post
          It was clearly stated in the release notes that 4.0 was not meant for end users, only for developers and early testers. If you are not a developer, why have you installed it? Some distros picked it, but is it really the fault of KDE, they have stated clearly, that this is not a finished product.
          That's not the impression I get from reading this:

Have you got a link to the release notes you talk about?

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
            Also gfx driver developers are usually highly-skilled graphics experts, not some dumb geeks, and they MUST know OpenGL and the underlying hardware better than anyone else ('cause they make the drivers!), so it's not a bad idea to just talk to them and see what they have to say.
            That's pretty much what happens. The KDE people talk with the hardware people and figure out between them where the problem is. For better or worse there is a policy in KDE4 of not writing work arounds for specific graphics hardware. In an open source environment you want things fixed in the right place, workarounds make code a lot harder to maintain in the long run. The downside of this is that it quite a bit of time before the fixes make it to the end user.

In the end though you use whatever works best for you. I like KDE. It has some features that I find really make my life easier.

Yes there were some fuck ups with KDE4 and yes some of those are the KDE developers fault. There are also plenty of people upset because their favourite KDE3 features aren't in KDE4 or just don't like it because it's new and fangled and works differently in places.

Comment

I liked KDE3 somewhat because of the harware requirements, but with todays hadware it's pure bliss. I actually bounced around with WMs and DEs, but since KDE4 everything is just perfect.

There are some roadsigns here and there that say "under construction", but nothing you can't work around. This is basically true for the entire GNU/Linux combination.

I'd rather keep using SC 4.4 untill an upgrade would work with the FLOSS driver. But you can simply work around this particular problem too, so who in the hell actualy cares? Gamers? Yeah like they won't use the blob anyway...

Comment

Working...
              X