KDE's Plasma To Be Reworked, Use More OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Also, could you point me to the list of features ATI and Nvidia said not to use with their GL2 drivers? (Just for my own curiosity...)

It describes hardware features, mentions features advertised but not working and features that cause software fallbacks, and a lot of advice on how to stay on the fast path. This all is for fglrx. I consider GL2 the biggest failure in the history of GL.

Similar white papers for NVIDIA should still be on the net somewhere.

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Excuse me but if the graphics drivers expose unstable, incomplete and buggy features, then if these crash it's motor KDE's faculteit. KDE only has a correct implementation whereas the graphics drivers do not work correctly...
    Really? And what driver bugs have you reported to back your claims?
    If something works with the NVIDIA blob, it doesn't mean it's been implemented right or is bug-free, it just happens to work with the blob, no more, no less. I'd really like to see any free project that uses OpenGL 100% correctly. I recall one bug where we had to *violate* the OpenGL specification for open drivers to work with the apps that used one specific *non-standard* feature exposed by, guess what, both blobs! And it was not the first time we must have done this. Applications are only made to work with blobs, not to comply with the OpenGL specification.

Seriously, if you find a bug in open drivers, report it. This blame fest won't help anybody. A lot of driver devs are unpaid, so they have the same responsibility to report or fix bugs as anybody else on this board or in the community. They work on what they want to work on.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
      Really? And what driver bugs have you reported to back your claims?
      Can I report your ignorance, please? You damn well know there are features enabled in the FLOSS drivers that are not done yet. You are the only one talking about bugs here. Bugs are everywhere, even in the blobs...

If something works with the NVIDIA blob, it doesn't mean it's been implemented right or is bug-free, it just happens to work with the blob, no more, no less.
      The universe is flat and it's sunny outside.

I'd really like to see any free project that uses OpenGL 100% correctly. I recall one bug where we had to *violate* the OpenGL specification for open drivers to work with the apps that used one specific *non-standard* feature exposed by, guess what, both blobs! And it was not the first time we must have done this. Applications are only made to work with blobs, not to comply with the OpenGL specification.
      These are simply bugs. It's not anyones fault and doesn't have anything to do with anything.

Seriously, if you find a bug in open drivers, report it.
      Sure I will; whenever that's needed (which is when you don't have anything else to do then get it in a working state first).

This blame fest won't help anybody. A lot of driver devs are unpaid, so they have the same responsibility to report or fix bugs as anybody else on this board or in the community. They work on what they want to work on.
      Yeah yeah yeah they are send by God himself. The point here is that it is not an excuse for simply enabling half working features.

I won't demand anything from you. I use the open source drivers you guys provide. I do not complain about them. I am just saying that when KDE performs checks, which return "Oh this is working"-answers, and KDE then performs operations the driver said it could, and then crashes, is NOT KDE's fault! KDE is not just Linux only, which means it has to be sanely cross platform and your FLOSS driver is the only driver that simply doesn't work. Now that's OK. But it is NOT OK to blaim KDE and to defend yourself as if like you were Jesus. Just sayin'....

Comment

The troll in me was very excited when I learned about the KDE developer putting the blame on the driver developers. I knew many people would be confused not knowing who to direct their hate at. This time it wasn't an easy one like KDE vs Gnome, but KDE vs the OSS drivers people, a hard choice for KDE loyalists.

Now, I won't pretend I have any knowledge about the technicalities behind this whole issue, but there are 2 down-to-earth reasons why I think KDE people are on the wrong side:

a) Other compositing solutions (Compiz) work. And very well, performing almost 2 degrees of magnitude better than Kwin as per my own tests. This isn't magic, I assume it's got something to do with good engineering decisions. Kwin's developer(s) should know better how to tackle their problems, they are the ones and the only ones responsible, for there is a competing product that, under the same circumstances, does work.

b) From that infamous blog post we know that the Kwin's developer doesn't use the most up-to-date graphics stack, and he doesn't seem very keen in changing this situation. Now, everybody should respect that choice (he's a volunteer), but it speaks lots about the lack of interest in making sure his product plays well with the OSS drivers. It has been suggested a greater degree of communication between Xorg and KDE; that's all good and well, but what sort of commitment can one expect if the application developers aren't even willing to test their work with the upstream graphics stack? What could that "communication" possibly result in if the graphics developers do not get any feedback about what needs fixing? This disconnection is clearly seen in KDE's drivers blacklist. We have heard reports of users with the OSS drivers having to change some KDE configuration file to have it working. How can this possibly happen? So, on the one hand, they decide to use certain features without making sure it will be OK to do so, and on the other they blacklist certain drivers without actually checking they don't work. What are these people on about?

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
          This time it wasn't an easy one like KDE vs Gnome, but KDE vs the OSS drivers people, a hard choice for KDE loyalists.
          Excuse me if i am wrong, i dont think it is KDE vs anything, but since KDE4, it is ALL (except i think by majority of KDE users) vs KDE4 for everything. This bullshit must stop now! I as KDE user am very very happy with it, as i think most of KDE users... most of blaming i see in forums/blogs come from people that say doesn't use KDE, or who changed DE's (and this is ok, you can't expect to maintain everyone happy on a major upgrade, sure it will also happen with Gnome 3).

If KDE4/KWIN4 is THAT bad, then it surelly will loose all the users all alone, no need to blame... but guess what, it doesn't seen to happen, again why the blame? Result.... STOP THIS INSANE BLAMING, it is a totally FOSS proyect like any other, and we should thank the volunteer work.

Martin's blog post was not a blame, but a response to one (a great one), as you can read in his first line:

KDE is currently blamed for errors in external components: the graphic drivers
          Critics/Suggestions ok, this blame, this XXX vs KDE (as XXX vs any FOSS project)... it is a child thing that helps noone.

PD: English is not my language, really sorry if you can't understand something

Comment

Hi, Larven. Welcome to the forum.

I think you understood my post in a funny way. Or perhaps you weren't answering me in particular but to all the rants against KDE 4 available on the internet (it would be healthy to question why there are so many of them, though).

But you quoted:

KDE is currently blamed for errors in external components: the graphic drivers
            Of course he's blaming others. That guy is acknowledging that many users are having problems with KDE, but dismisses them as errors in the graphics drivers. Why? How is this possible when other applications manage to work with the same drivers? How can he say so with a straight face when he declares himself unable to build the graphics stack from upstream, meaning that he basically ignores what the current state of the drivers is? Something which, as I said in the previous post, is apparent from the erroneous blacklist of drivers.

PS. But yes, I think KDE 4 made quite a few people to look for alternatives. Anecdotically, Linus was one of them, if memory serves.

Comment

How is this possible when other applications manage to work with the same drivers? How can he say so with a straight face when he declares himself unable to build the graphics stack from upstream, meaning that he basically ignores what the current state of the drivers is?
              Compiz is only using GL1 functionality, Kwin is trying to use GL2 and then falling back to GL1 if the driver doesn't support it. That's the difference right there, and the KWin developers are unwilling to simply stay GL1 only like the Compiz team is.

I do agree that having the main developer developing on an ancient graphics stack is a little weird, and he certainly didn't seem too interested in making any effort to get things running on other drivers. Sad, but hopefully some other KDE devs step up. And hopefully the GL2 support in the OSS drivers gets more solid as well.

Comment

PS. But yes, I think KDE 4 made quite a few people to look for alternatives. Anecdotically, Linus was one of them, if memory serves.
                I think it was Fedora which made him to look for the alternatives, because it shipped with unstable KDE4. His opinion about Gnome didn't change I guess.

Comment

Just face it; OpenGL 2. It's a truely sad situation with no one to blame.

The only thing to hate is understafment. And you can blame that on evolution, which you can hate the universe for, but if this universe started out differently; you wouldn't exist, so love life. But then it's either using Windows 7 or proprietary drivers, or a different GUI. But Gnome sucks, so I should use XFCE, but that uses GTK+... so then I should use DR17, but then I'd use Qt anyway and KDE's base component which switches the UI. But then again I'll miss compositing and crucial DE things...

I'll just replace Kwin withCompiz, which uses C++ and you guys can still suck on your German mother =)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268
                    Compiz is only using GL1 functionality, Kwin is trying to use GL2 and then falling back to GL1 if the driver doesn't support it. That's the difference right there, and the KWin developers are unwilling to simply stay GL1 only like the Compiz team is.
                    Yes, I understood something like that, but I'm trying to make my point from an end user perspective. I shouldn't have to care about those acronyms at all to run...a window manager. The important fact which nobody can deny is that KWin doesn't work or perform nearly as well as Compiz, even though according to some--I don't really know--Compiz is a bit of a mess. This in principle wouldn't be important: there are applications that perform better than others, have different features or are simply more mature. However, in this case it matters because the KDE people want us to believe that the problem lies exclusively in the graphics drivers, which is cynical nonsense (the Kwin guy learned from a comment to his blog that HIS card was actually supported by the OSS drivers, for christ sake).

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I think it was Fedora which made him to look for the alternatives, because it shipped with unstable KDE4. His opinion about Gnome didn't change I guess.
                    No, no. He didn't stop using Fedora. He stopped using KDE 4. Fedora, like other distributions, shipped the KDE 4 version that was available by then. It clearly wasn't ready for production use but the KDE team released it all the same. You wouldn't blame Fedora, of all distributions, for releasing bleeding edge code, would you? But this is just an anecdote, what Linus uses or not is irrelevant--I just know you guys love this king of low blows.

Comment

No, no. He didn't stop using Fedora. He stopped using KDE 4. Fedora, like other distributions, shipped the KDE 4 version that was available by then. It clearly wasn't ready for production use but the KDE team released it all the same. You wouldn't blame Fedora, of all distributions, for releasing bleeding edge code, would you? But this is just an anecdote, what Linus uses or not is irrelevant--I just know you guys love this king of low blows.
                      I meant he stopped using KDE, because it wasn't in production state yet when Fedora started shipping it and many things were simply breaking and missing. Not all of the distributions were shipping KDE 4.0 those times and those who did shouldn't be treated seriously. Something like this just shouldn't have place. I can't imagine someone gives me messed up, unfinished product which is breaking all the time and he wants me to work using something like this. I see three possibilities: distribution developers who packaged KDE 4.0 didn't care of their users at all, some of them gave warning it's just a preview version and some others did this intentionally - "hey, take a look how KDE4 is messed up! Use Gnome instead". Big kudos to Kubuntu team, because they were offering KDE3.5 same time and they warned people against unfinished KDE 4.0. Btw. I don't care about so called 'authorities' at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X