No announcement yet.

Mono 2.8 Is Out With C# 4.0, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running with --llvm doesn't seem to do anything for performance here but I'll have to check some more complex applications. However, --gc=sgen makes a hell of a difference! Tests that choked and stuttered before now run buttery-smooth.

Finally, the xbuild/gmcs are faster and give better feedback while compiling. Nice!

All we need now is a new MonoDevelop release with built-in xbuild.

Comment

(Freaking edit limit)

Bah, still missing tail-call optimization so F# is still out of the question. Maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
        I don't understand why people must program in C, why not use Java instead?

It's for the languages and managed code. Managed code is inherently more reliable (In the sense that they have larger uptimes and don't necessarily exit on exception).

Mono is like OpenJDK lite. It's a easy programming language running managed but it's also lighter than Java. That's why people use it. If I could be assed to learn C# I would.

When I run banshee it takes up much closer to 18MB of ram btw, and runs significantly better than anything else.
        I'm not arguing about C, because I consider it's not so good as Qt/C++ for desktop applications. Like me and many other people said Mono and Java applications are slow compared to Qt. I've never saw comparable Mono or Java application, so I just try to avoid such languages. It seems some people are lucky with Banshee, but there are many other who're not.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
          Yes, I agree that this Microsoft's claim is FUD, but my point was that the anti-Mono stance is the same type of FUD.
          It's not the same at all. There's a difference between pure FUD from Microsoft and between a real concerns. How many times Icaza didn't answer questions related to patent situation about Mono? He behaves like some lobbyist and coward. All of the problems with mono are Icaza's merits.

It is virtually certain that the Linux kernel (just like any other program, probably including helloworld.c) *does* infringe on some bogus Microsoft patents and is no safer from (theoretically) being sued over. Regarding Mono, once again, what matters to Linux developers is the core runtime platform which IS exempt from the patent FUD, plus frameworks that are not related to Microsoft at all.
          Again, it's not relevant. I can say every MS program does infringe on some company patents and this will have exactly same value as what you said.

The fact that ASP.NET is patent-laden is probably of no interest at all because no Linux developer is probably going to use it.
          Then why something like this is present in Mono? Just to prove it can or to make use of it?

Comment

I don't understand why people must program in C, why not use Java instead?
            The quality of the comments here is constantly rising

Comment

Aha, this release adds support for AOT on x86. Nice!

Slightly more detailed article on arstechnica.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                The quality of the comments here is constantly rising
                If you'd read the whole post it was a reply to someone saying that they shouldn't program in C# because C/C++ is already there.

Comment

It's not symmetric and you know it.

Comment

I just wonder where all the people who love *nix, why don't you go back where you belong? Go back to System V and never look back!

It's because .NET is good, yet the OS it's intended for isn't necessarily good.
                    I don't understand why people love to go back to the Pentium 4 days of perfomance when you could also use the _worlds_ best desktop applications that KDE4 provides in C++, namely AmaroK, PIM, KmyMoney and Kdenlive to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      I don't understand why people love to go back to the Pentium 4 days of perfomance when you could also use the _worlds_ best desktop applications that KDE4 provides in C++, namely AmaroK, PIM, KmyMoney and Kdenlive to name a few.
                      Kdenlive is debatable however I agree with Amarok.

C++ is better than C for desktop applications. C is better for super-reliable server applications.

Comment

Working...
                      X