Mono 2.8 Is Out With C# 4.0, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    while AFAIK nobody is getting sued over CLR or Mono, Oracle is suing Google over Java right now.
    Actually, they are suing Google because they are NOT using Java, but their own VM called Dalvik. Java's patent exemption requires that you implement both the JVM and JAVA together following their specifications.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    I presume that the anti-Mono crowd will never ever ever install the Linux kernel either. The kernel supposedly violates over 120 Microsoft patents
    'Supposedly' in this case means 'heard it from Microsoft', and they have backed up their claims with absolutely nothing. Which makes these claims about as beliveable as the (partly Microsoft funded) SCO FUD debacle. Mono on the other hand is undoubtably patented microsoft tech.

From what I've seen of C#, it's a fast language to develop in, like other managed langages it suffers in performance when compared to native code but that only applies to projects where performance is paramount. But seriously, with Microsofts track record, I wouldn't touch what I know is their patented tech with a ten-foot pole unless I absolutely had to, community promise or not.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Python embedding is the closest you can come to this, but you lose the IDE, performance and flexibility of Mono.
      I don't really need or use IDEs, the few times I have they just seemed to get in the way. There are IDEs for Python, and you have lots of flexibility. Performance on Mono isn't going to beat Java or Native C/C++, so that argument is more or less moot. If you're worried about performance to the point at which well-coded Python isn't fast enough for you, then Mono isn't enough for you either. Both are better used as quickly written front ends / GUIs for console applications than for writing actual number crunching applications.

I haven't used any other environment that comes close. If you have, I'd love to hear about it!
      Comes close? Not so sure. Beats? Java. When you look at the use cases, Java is in use in most enterprise solutions for the whole package, and the big difference is that Java is used in both the front and back end for most of these solutions, whereas .NET / ASP are used almost exclusively at the front end.

Comment

Loooool, so many astroturfers in here.

First direct3D, now Mono, and finally we have the first one claiming that Linux violates MS patents.

I refuse to believe that there is no financial incentive behind this. Some people are TOO bent on using MS technology everywhere in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post

First direct3D, now Mono, and finally we have the first one claiming that Linux violates MS patents.

I refuse to believe that there is no financial incentive behind this. Some people are TOO bent on using MS technology everywhere in Linux.
          Heh... Fun, isn't it?

Comment

Really. The whole .NET / Mono push on Linux is impossible to understand without looking at the special interests involved.

Not to mention that Microsoft never elabotated on a single of the (100+?) patents it claimed Linux violated in the 5 +years it has made the claim. Its FUD, which is Microsoft's MO since the beginning of time.

And they're a strict minority. There are no advantages, only potential threats and disadvantages. If Linux needed something like Mono the community would have jumped on writing its own VM layer.

Comment

Well, at least, we do know about the existence of the FAT patent, don't we?

(no, I don't think Microsoft will kill us all with that)

Comment

Well who cares about astroturfers when Fedora and Ubuntu aint never, ever, touching it again.

No matter how hard they try; their business fails. Microsoft is losing out, AGAIN! And that makes me so happy ^^,

Comment

And bugs. Lots of them!

Besides, you can use Qt from Mono and get the best of both worlds.
                  And bugs in mono apps too. I see no single reason to use mono which is outdated .net clone.

Oh,rly?

And here I thought Linux was a kernel. Can we place bets, too?
                  Didn't you hear ms propaganda about the Linux kernel?

Comment

If you're worried about performance to the point at which well-coded Python isn't fast enough for you, then Mono isn't enough for you either. Both are better used as quickly written front ends / GUIs for console applications than for writing actual number crunching applications.
                    Mono is an order of magnitude faster than Python. If Python is too slow for something this doesn't mean that it won't run acceptably on Mono (through e.g. IronPython).

Originally posted by kazetsukai View Post
                    Comes close? Not so sure. Beats? Java. When you look at the use cases, Java is in use in most enterprise solutions for the whole package, and the big difference is that Java is used in both the front and back end for most of these solutions, whereas .NET / ASP are used almost exclusively at the front end.
                    Java is fine for the enterprise but I've never *ever* seen anyone embed or use Java in a scripting environment. Or a gaming console. Mono is gaining significant traction on these areas.

Originally posted by V!NCENT
                    Looking back at how BlackStar says that Gtk+ and C suck, wait untill I tell him that the very DE he likes, is writin and build upon suckage Kaboom baby; deny that you are nothing but a total troll, BlackStar.
                    Nice try, but I never *ever* said that C sucks. C++ sucks, C does not. GTK sucks but you can sometimes create great stuff on sucky foundations.

Also, I admit it. I'm paid to inflitrate and seed heretic ideas on Linux websites.

What we need now is a Mono binding to Direct3D. We can then layer MonoXNA on that, lie back and enjoy the fireworks! 100page flamefests, here we come!

Comment

Yes, the Vista copycat will liberate us from Microsoft. Uh, yeah, keep dreaming!
                      Vista can dream about KDE. So, mono, obsolete .net copycat will liberate us from microsoft then? Or os x clone? Good joke!

Comment

Working...
                      X