Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    Fail Software Compilation.

This software is unusable on most of the machines do to the unoptimized, slow, memory hungry code. It was such a pain on my laptop for the last few months, there's no word to describe it. Still has a stupid long logout and startup, plus disk grindage everywhere. Simple thing like launching kwrite requires serious disk grindage.

I should be quiet now I guess, back to BFS scheduler, fluxbox, and my 5400RPM laptop disk but yet 80MB/s read rate, sorry for the rage .
    Sounds like you lack the RAM, because on my Core Solo 1.06Ghz ULV KDE 4.5.2. run nicely with compositing enabled. I have 2GB of RAM (and a 4200RPM disk).

Try disabling nepomuk and strigi. If strigi is indexing your files it will likely cause some sluggishness.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
      Yeah, the Oxygen theme is ugly and may be sluggish. Use QtCurve, which is heavily customizable (almost to a fault) and not ugly and also available for GTK+, giving you the possibility of having a unified look and feel for applications of both toolkits.
      I find the reverse to be true: QtCurve is ugly and Oxygen is beautiful. To each their own.

But I wonder, does the widget style really impact performance much or at all, or is this just something you invented?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
        I find the reverse to be true: QtCurve is ugly and Oxygen is beautiful. To each their own.

But I wonder, does the widget style really impact performance much or at all, or is this just something you invented?
        There was a bug with the NVidia binary drivers, where it would slow down if you created to many pixmaps (or something). And the Oxygen style was creating a bunch of them. They consolidated them a bit and most users did report that performance increased, but only if you were affected by that nvidia bug to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by mat69 View Post
          As if the rest -- including your -- posts were more civilized...

Who can't handle the heat should not enter the kitchen.
          Good point there...and seems the the great GNOME vs KDE debates have started yet again

Comment

Does anybody know whether it's possible to set different panels to different virtual desktops? I would think that it should be possible with the 'activities', but I haven't been able to accomplish this.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
              Does anybody know whether it's possible to set different panels to different virtual desktops? I would think that it should be possible with the 'activities', but I haven't been able to accomplish this.
              Right click on your Pager, select "Pager Preferences". Click on the icon, to the right, that says "Virtual Desktops". Below the box that shows the number of desktops, you'll find an option, "Different widgets per desktop". Tick it. You'll have what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
                Yes. Remove the default panel first, then add a panel widget to the desktop. Done.

Might be a good idea to make the default panel 100% transparant and put it in a corner so that the windows can't cover your new panel widget and the default panel doesn't cover your new widget panel

Comment

Sorry, guys, I don't get it. I don't understand the whole activities thing. I think I used to have an option to set different activities per desktop or something, but I don't find it anymore. I did what Alejandro suggested and added another panel, but alas it's displayed in every virtual desktop. When I change "activity" apparently I get the same one in all the desktops. I'm able to throw different widgets to individual workspaces, but I don't have any "panel widget" anywhere...

Comment

Working...
                  X