Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment Foundation Libraries 1.0 Hit Beta

Phoronix: Enlightenment Foundation Libraries 1.0 Hit Beta

At long last, the EFL (Enlightenment Foundation Libraries) have reached a beta status for their version 1.0 release. Among the libraries hitting this beta status are Eina, Eet, Evas, Ecore, Embryo, Edje, E_Dbus, Efreet, and Eeze. New snapshots are also available for Enlightenment and Elementary...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

TEN years?

10 years is a lot of time, even for an unsponsored project. And this one WAS sponsored... or not? Nokia is actively developing QT, is samsung doing the same for EFL? or do I have to think the EFL boys are developing just to say merrily "Hey, rest of the world, Samsung likes our project so much they're getting all the code and putting it in theri cell phones and DVD players!! We're so happy to make Samsung money!!"

Comment

"No releases" does not mean dead or stagnated!

Yes, 10 years without releases may sound like the project was dead or stagnated, but really we were just keeping out of the formalities and bureaucracy, rather having some coding fun.

Although Samsung is the big name people like to look at, other companies are doing products around it, and contributing a lot back, be with dedicated developers or with simple patches.

As for Samsung making money of it, well, we're free software, as in freedom and we don't care if people make money or not. Actually everybody in the community is being paid to work with EFL if one desires so, thus there is not even "they're making money over my free time" issue for core developers :-)

Comment

I check out an svn copy every now and then - it's been quite good to E17 (and all associated with it) progressing. I'll have to try out the latest after some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by barbieri View Post
          Yes, 10 years without releases may sound like the project was dead or stagnated, but really we were just keeping out of the formalities and bureaucracy, rather having some coding fun.
          A release hardly qualifies as a bureaucratic formality...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
            A release hardly qualifies as a bureaucratic formality...
            e17 was already quite usable off svn. and there were snapshots for libraries.

but i'd say it's about time to get some classic stable out the door.

Comment

+1 to yoshi

Comment

I hope the guys aren't going after; "Hmmm, this looks a bit outdated... Let's drop the work and start with dr18. Let there be vector graphics!" :rollehes:

Comment

Originally posted by barbieri View Post

Although Samsung is the big name people like to look at, other companies are doing products around it, and contributing a lot back, be with dedicated developers or with simple patches.

As for Samsung making money of it, well, we're free software, as in freedom and we don't care if people make money or not. Actually everybody in the community is being paid to work with EFL if one desires so, thus there is not even "they're making money over my free time" issue for core developers :-)
                  just out of curiosity and since you are one of the developers:

do you plan to make E17 run on Wayland????

Comment

Allow me to express my surprise.

:O

Comment

Working...
                    X