Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    just out of curiosity and since you are one of the developers:

do you plan to make E17 run on Wayland????
    The problem is not supporting Wayland. It's a matter of one week of work. The problem is Wayland. As far as I know, the API is currently changing a lot. And not really useful for now. Check its TODO list. Once is it done, then maybe it will be interesting. Not now.

@Pickup: the project has been sponsored for 2 or 3 years only. The number of developers is quite low, compared to other similar projects (3 core developers for ~ 10 libraries). The problem has been the lack of release. Just the canvas library, Evas, has been rewritten at least 3 times.

Comment

just out of curiosity and since you are one of the developers:

do you plan to make E17 run on Wayland????
      No plans of E17 (the window manager), but there are talks of Evas/Ecore/Elementary on top of it, but really waiting it to be less vaporware and more real to do some action as resources are limited. It should be pretty simple as we're already windowless from beginning.

But E17 uses the concept of reparenting, lots of NETWM and related X11 atoms, so bit more work, however if it proves itself worth and not yet another Y, DirectFB, ... :-) Let's remember the number of "supposedly" killer alternatives over these years.

Comment

@vtorri & @barbieri

thanks

the reason i asked is that there is already work being done to port Qt and GTK+ on it and according to phoronix there is already a version of meego running on wayland (if i remember the article correctly)

to me it seems like it has potential not to replace X but be used in systems where the networking capabilities of X are not needed (pretty much laptops and desktops for the average user)

PS. the vaporware comment made me smile

Comment

@vtorri & @barbieri

thanks

the reason i asked is that there is already work being done to port Qt and GTK+ on it and according to phoronix there is already a version of meego running on wayland (if i remember the article correctly)

to me it seems like it has potential not to replace X but be used in systems where the networking capabilities of X are not needed (pretty much laptops and desktops for the average user)

PS. the vaporware comment made me smile
          The vaporware was on purpose ;-)

Although people claim E is vaporware, it is there in CVS and now SVN for all these years, with people using it daily, so no vapor. Although not yet stamped with 1.0 label, it is stable (with eventual breakages, but nothing too different from gnome and kde lands)... you even had the tarballs and packages! they were not just 1.0

Wayland do have code, I must agree, but if you see where it runs, the requirements and the number of TODO, it is not going to pay off to move to it at the moment.

"But Qt and GTK did it!" one claims at the back of the room. If you check it out how did it, it is the same guy that created Wayland and he just did Qt because he and his close friends (hello Jesse!) are being paid by Intel to work on it... so if they port EFL, we'd be at the same boat, of if someone pays my http://profusion.mobicompany we can do it as well. :-)

Comment

Working...
          X