Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Crushing? Yeah crushing Gnome it is?

BTW give Fedora 13 a spin; had no choice but to install a superior DE like KDE in order for the apps to stop crashing (Gnome).

And seriously... A new desktop concept? I hope you do not mean multiple desktops, a compositing WM and app/file search? Mac OS X, Windows and KDE has had that for a _very_ long time.
    You obviously haven't used a Gnome 3 preview yet... It is ok, a year from now it will be your main DE...

In the mean time, check if the default theme of KDE emulates the look and feel of current Windows well... They do try, after having a black Vista-like they switched to a Windows 7-like when it went out...

And seriously, who uses Fedora except some mazochists? I used to be one such poor fellow some years ago myself...

You seriously are not expecting Fedora to be stable in anything, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      Anyway, for those who wonder, see you in April when GNOME will REVOLUTIONISE the desktop metaphor instead of blindly copying Windows...
      Let's hope it won't revolutionise desktop experience the way it will become unusable. But who cares? :P

Comment

My Fedora 13 Gnome to KDE convert install is as stable as can be. I havent experience _any crash or lockup_ other then Totem, Gnash, Wine and Empathy, except for Rekonq that froze when excecution Facebook scripts, but continued happily after that. Never had a problem. I even installed and completed Tomb Raider: Anniversary (2007) retail DVD without a crack in Wine without a single crash, lockup or freeze with the default ATI FLOSS driver on my HD3300.

Also the current KDE doesn't resemble any Windows theme, including Windows 7, except for the 'hide the systray' icon. I feel Windows 7 basically copied the KDE 3.5 kicker. The 'start menu' with the search function was pretty much introduced before Vista and the same thing goes for the widgets.

Comment

gnome works good on DEB based distros, gnome dont work good on fedora/mandriva/suse

i hate KDE, to much useless stuff in it. gnome is good and clear

Comment

Hey, the new revolutionary Gno-....!

No... still light years behind KDE....
            You don't have to make gnome user wrong to make using KDE right. We're not going to come to your house and force you to install gnome and delete KDE. Everyone can install them all and decide what they like.

Comment

I did take the Gnome-Shell for a spin in Fedora, but the workflow almost made me cry; it was as efficient as Windows XP when working with multiple adds. A copy board would ease this, but hey, why do it right when you can fsck it up?

Futhermore evrrything in KDE is minimalistic. There are more features than KDE3, but way less in your face clutter. The new theme is pretty much without color, so the wallpaper determines your theme and it doesn't visualy get in your way at all, unlike Gnome. There is also less verticle space wasting and the size scales to your resolution. The graphics are picture perfect vector graphics and non-distracting. The artwork is full of depth that also doesn't get in your way. The WM is state of the art, which can't be said for mutter. The apps are feature-rich and every app has feature I use that are not availble on GTK+ apps.

Overal KDE SC 4.4.5 just screams quality. Gnome feels extremely amateuristic, as if it was made for the elderly who never touched a computer before. And Gnome-Shell feels like a Nintendo console; pretty cool, but gimmick trash.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                And I wondered how many posts would be needed for a KDE vs Gnome war to start...
                Indeed, lol.

I actually skipped the thread, not expecting anything interesting in such a minor release, but then I remembered that there will be a juicy flamewar and those are funny

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Anyway, for those who wonder, see you in April when GNOME will REVOLUTIONISE the desktop metaphor instead of blindly copying Windows...
                  Yeah, they will revolutionise it by blindly copying KDE instead

OK, I'm sorry, I won't do it again.

Comment

@PingyFunkyBeat,
                    What do you think I'm this thread for

BTW BlackStar is pretty late to the party =P

Comment

Also the current KDE doesn't resemble any Windows theme, including Windows 7, except for the 'hide the systray' icon. I feel Windows 7 basically copied the KDE 3.5 kicker. The 'start menu' with the search function was pretty much introduced before Vista and the same thing goes for the widgets.
                      That is simply not true. KDE 4 is increasingly resembling Windows 7 (which isn't necessarily a bad thing.)

E.g. Transparent blue panel by default; largely blue theme in general, new systray as you mentioned with gray scale icons, Windows 7 style edge of desktop actions (snap to left half, snap to right half etc.)

There are differences yes, but the inspirations are obvious and the timing of the change from black theme to transparent blue theme was suspicious at best.

I like KDE 4 - but credit where credit is due.

Comment

Working...
                      X