LibreOffice Is The New OpenOffice.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Craig73 View Post
    Based on my understanding, Oracle has been invited to participate in the new foundation as well (hopefully they will donate the OpenOffice brand/trademarks)
    I seriously doubt Oracle is donating anything. I hope I'm proven wrong though.

Comment

I would be more curious as to what inspired this. They say nice words, but... Why now? Why walk away from a brand that was finally beginning to gain traction?

It is hard to escape a worrying feeling that this is mainly to spite Oracle, which is the worst possible reason for it.

Comment

I like this news.
        I think Google is among key factors here because it knows what Oracle has in mind (the patents from Sun, then suing Google, then preparing software that will hijack the current state of openoffice and Java etc etc).
        So I'm sure this has been discussed "behind the scenes" by Google with Canonical and the likes and when enough open-source players teamed up with Google it was released not as Google's "coup" but as a "spontaneous movement" which key players happen to favour.
        I don't ask anyone to believe this, I know it's easy to spell "conspiracy theory", "crazy" or the likes, please don't bother.

Comment

Easy ppl.

Oracle isn't livin' up to a FLOSS community member dream company. They've killed openSolaris already and no one can be certain that they would not proprietarize MySQL, VBox or OpenOffice.

I guess that developers that were working on OO for a decade have a better understanding of the situation and surroundings in which OO developement take place, so they have a very good reason to do this.

I wouldn't submit a two-liner piece of code to a project that could be sold in the future. Yes, LGPL blah blah, they can pack it with a stupid feature that they would charge for 100$ along with LGPL'ed code.

Along with proper support from companies like Novell, Google, Canonical etc that project could be OUR office suite of choice for the future.

People are trying to secure that OpenOffice and code that many of them wrote themselves stay free for our benefit, and you have a problem with that ?

Vote! http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...mentfoundation

Comment

Originally posted by RobbieAB View Post
            I would be more curious as to what inspired this. They say nice words, but... Why now? Why walk away from a brand that was finally beginning to gain traction?

It is hard to escape a worrying feeling that this is mainly to spite Oracle, which is the worst possible reason for it.
            It's not so much to spite Oracle, but a feeling that Oracle would kill openoffice.org (intentionally or through incompetance/apathy) if it were left solely with them.

Comment

koffice IMO. Doesn't quite have feature parity, but it is Qt and has some interesting UI concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyRider View Post
                The name is like "LabiaOffice", that's just awkward

Time to go back to MS Office 2010!
                That's a good move. Also since KDE changed to KDE SC, I think it's time to move along and return to windows 7, right?

Anyway, I'll agree with RealNC. It can be disastrous to change to LibreOffice (I can hardly think of a worse name), especially now where OpenOffice started to be a bit famous.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
                  koffice IMO. Doesn't quite have feature parity, but it is Qt and has some interesting UI concepts.
                  I love KOffice - at least since the move to Qt4. The UI is fantastic. It's disappointing that when Sun were looking for UI ideas from the community, they ignored all the submissions that would have made OO.o look and behave more like KOffice and instead opted to just create a 'ribbon', ala MS Office 2007.

The name is like "LabiaOffice", that's just awkward

Time to go back to MS Office 2010!
                  I'm not sure which of these two propositions are stupider.

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  "LibreOffice"... My God. As far as names go, this one is just awful. Ask non-English speakers to pronounce that.
                  Which, "non-English speakers", exactly? French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese? Hell, Latin permeates more than just the romance languages (and English); it's ubiquitous in science and medicine the world over. Using Latin is probably less problematic than just giving it an English name.

Comment

I sure hope that the name doesn't kill it. I swear, I am going to make a new Linux distribution some day, call it Door Linux (because Windows are for bugs and thieves) and I'll rename everything logically. OOo will be called The Office, GIMP will be called The Chimp (CHarming Image Manipulation Program) and Amarok will be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (It is easier for most people to say and remember). Neopuk and Akonadi won't even have names, and the Start button will say Menu.

Comment

Let me be the first to say "About fucking time";

About fucking time.

Comment

Working...
                      X