LibreOffice Is The New OpenOffice.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    "LibreOffice"... My God. As far as names go, this one is just awful. Ask non-English speakers to pronounce that.
    Why just non-English speakers? I think you have it backwards actually. Libre is a Latin word isn't it? If anything Spanish, French, and Italian speakers should be able to pronounce it better than English speakers can.

Comment

BTW, I speak Dutch and it sounds like "Lee bruh office", where "uh" sounds like a fast moan sound. Sex sells, whyyyyy noooot? xD

Comment

Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
        I sure hope that the name doesn't kill it. I swear, I am going to make a new Linux distribution some day, call it Door Linux (because Windows are for bugs and thieves) and I'll rename everything logically. OOo will be called The Office, GIMP will be called The Chimp (CHarming Image Manipulation Program) and Amarok will be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (It is easier for most people to say and remember). Neopuk and Akonadi won't even have names, and the Start button will say Menu.
        Or you could just be literal.

As long as you don't have completely defective notions of what you're actually doing with your system, it'll work.

Although I still find it entertaining that people get their knickers in a twist over The GIMP. Oh no, one of it's definitions refers to an aspect of a sexual subculture. Lord have mercy.

Comment

GIMP's name is only used when people who don't even know how to use Photoshops distinctive features want to bash Linux

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
            Why just non-English speakers? I think you have it backwards actually. Libre is a Latin word isn't it? If anything Spanish, French, and Italian speakers should be able to pronounce it better than English speakers can.
            Well, the problem in Spanish, and probably also in Italian and Portuguese at least, is that it sounds retarded, because it's like a mashup of an existing word, "libre", with a foreign one, with the added problem of the reversed order of the adjective. It sounds awful.

Comment

so what? even with Sun a lot of distributions (all?) used GO-Openoffice instead of Openoffice.org

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                Libre is a Latin word isn't it?
                no, it isn't

Comment

Originally posted by dotancohen View Post
                  I sure hope that the name doesn't kill it. I swear, I am going to make a new Linux distribution some day, call it Door Linux (because Windows are for bugs and thieves) and I'll rename everything logically. OOo will be called The Office, GIMP will be called The Chimp (CHarming Image Manipulation Program) and Amarok will be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (It is easier for most people to say and remember). Neopuk and Akonadi won't even have names, and the Start button will say Menu.
                  You need to follow the current trends:
                  - iOffice
                  - iGimp or iChimp or iEdit Images
                  - iAmarok or iRok (I kinda like this one)
                  - iMenu (of course)
                  - iWeb

Just add an i- and you are set. Pad would work, too: OfficePad, ImagePad, RokPad, Menu - ok I'm stopping this.

Personally speaking, I hate acronyms and meaningless, "rad" names (Akonadi, UGH!) Additionally, someone should totally rename "Web Browser" to "The Internets".

Comment

Akonadi and Nepomuk are both names that the user should never, ever, see, so i'm not sure why anyone would complain about them. The real complaint would be that you've heard the name at all. PIM apps and searching should just work without the user having to know the names of the services hidden behind the scenes.

Comment

Geezus...to answer several of the above posts...

About the NAME SITUATION:

They WANT to keep the name OpenOffice. They CAN'T keep the name because Oracle has a *trademark* on it. They are HOPING Oracle will donate that trademark to them so they CAN keep the name. If not though, they will have to find a new name, and LibreOffice was supposed to be a temporary name. Why didn't they choose a better temp name? Probably because they were just trying to find something as close as possible to "OpenOffice" for now thinking they would get the name OpenOffice back, they really truly felt it was a temporary name, and chose it to make it easily understood that the migration to LibreOffice for developers and such wasn't a migration at all, but it was the same exact thing as OpenOffice and the same exact community.

If Oracle decided to be retarded and kept the trademark for a dead project, then they should reconsider the name, I agree, and precisely because they adopted the foundation name "The Document Foundation" means that they can easily do just that later on, since it is just a project of theirs. (i.e., I am answering the question "why didn't they call themselves The LibreOffice Foundation?" here)

As for Go OO, if you read the FAQ, it tells you that Go OO was supposedly some enhancements to OOo (speed being one enhancement supposedly) that for some silly political reasons that I don't know about Oracle/Sun had refused to allow into OOo. I can speculate on what their reasons could be but the point is that now that their community is in charge, they have merged these changes into LibreOffice.

Comment

Working...
                      X