Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Linux Power Management Getting Better Or Worse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ioannis View Post
    By the way, has anyone tried MeeGo on a netbook?
    Yes. Love it. Especially the really really really fast boot time.

Intel did a good job with their distro.
    Yes it did.

Compare that to Ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition
    It's what I have right now in my netbook, although I modded the crap out of it. In fact ubuntu-netbook isn't installed anymore. Too slow, and uses too much power as you said. I'm going to install meego next.

In comparison, Windows XP reports 6.5hours. MeeGo beats WinXP, as it should be.
    You are right. It's about time a linux distro takes the lead in the field of power consumption on netbooks. Windows XP really sucks for netbooks, but it is still waaaaaaay better than win7 starter.

Phoronix, you can do something to raise awareness. Do a test of various netbook distros on power.
    Already done that:
    Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

However, power consumption for meego was higher in that test for some reason. CPU performance was better than the rest though.

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
      Yes. Love it. Especially the really really really fast boot time.
      Boot time is OK. Ubunutu is faster, but it doesn't really mater. I'd normally suspend. Conanical should start concentrating on something other than boot time...

It's what I have right now in my netbook, although I modded the crap out of it. In fact ubuntu-netbook isn't installed anymore. Too slow, and uses too much power as you said. I'm going to install meego next.
      Indeed the Ubuntu NE UI feels much heavier than MeeGo's, even though both are muter based.

You are right. It's about time a linux distro takes the lead in the field of power consumption on netbooks. Windows XP really sucks for netbooks, but it is still waaaaaaay better than win7 starter.
      It is a sad story. Can't stress enough how important this is. I think the Linux netbook didn't gain enough market share because of it (or at least partly because of it). If linux had a clear advantage in battery life, that would have been newsworthy all around the internet.

Actually, I spoke to soon when comparing MeeGo to WinXP. After killing the various background processes running on the WinXP install (anti-viruses and whatnot), I got a 7:30h battery life report. The difference could be due to the way the two systems report/estimate their battery life though. I haven't done an actual test (leave them to 'dry out').

Already done that:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

However, power consumption for meego was higher in that test for some reason. CPU performance was better than the rest though.
      Very odd. Both of my Ubunut Maverick NE and MeeGo are fresh installs, with all updates applied. I'd be interested to know your results when you install MeeGo.

Comment

Working...
      X