Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.3.3 Brings Various New Features

Phoronix: Wine 1.3.3 Brings Various New Features

While new Wine development snapshots are generally released on a bi-weekly basis with the release almost always taking place on a Friday, the Wine 1.3.3 release came out today on a Saturday. The Wine 1.3.3 release has a variety of fixes and other improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah ! A new release !

Comment

Nothing to get excited about. They release the current dev build every two weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
        Nothing to get excited about. They release the current dev build every two weeks.
        There is a big difference between a dev build and a official release. The two weekly iterations are not for stable usage.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          There is a big difference between a dev build and a official release. The two weekly iterations are not for stable usage.
          My point exactly. 1.3.3 is a dev build.

Comment

I find the biweekly wine builds to be as stable as wine ever is

The stable branch hardly ever gets backports anyway, so after a bit you will end up having to use the dev branch unless things work perfectly for you under 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Xanbreon View Post
              I find the biweekly wine builds to be as stable as wine ever is

The stable branch hardly ever gets backports anyway, so after a bit you will end up having to use the dev branch unless things work perfectly for you under 1.2.
              I actually don't disagree (I build from git almost every day, and the few serious regressions never live for long). I pretty much ignored the grandparents second statement about stability and was commenting more to the fact that the increase in versioning of dev releases means very little.

Dev versions increase by .1 every two weeks, no matter how much work got done in that time. The versioning of the official "stable" releases means a whole lot more, since there are real goals and major functionality that has to get implemented before Alexandre will increase that number. It's also the only type of build that major distros like Ubuntu are going to put in their own repos.

Comment

Dev versions increase by .1 every two weeks, no matter how much work got done in that time.
                Isn't the same true for the actual Linux kernel and many other important components?!

I'm always building the two-weekly.
                For sure the git repos are newer but that's more work for me and even less changes.
                The big stable releases are not useful because they aren't really more stable than using the dev builds and they get veeery old quickly and what worth is a stable program that is actually not working?!

Comment

My point exactly. 1.3.3 is a dev build.
                  oops, my mistake... its indeed a dev build

Nothing see... just read along

Comment

They've fixed Google Talk.

Comment

Working...
                    X