Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collabora Is Working On A Per-Window VNC System

Phoronix: Collabora Is Working On A Per-Window VNC System

Collabora, the open-source consulting company that's notably backing the development of GStreamer, PiTiVi, and Telepathy, among others, is now supporting a new per-window VNC system too. Thomas Thurman of Collabora has just announced the first public release of xzibit which offers a few features now, but Thurman has much greater plans ahead for this free software project...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You can do this with NX too. You can even do it with plain X forwarding. What's the advantage to VNC?

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
      You can do this with NX too. You can even do it with plain X forwarding. What's the advantage to VNC?
      The problem with both X and probably NX, is that if your session gets termiated, your apps close. HAVE NO FEAR!!! there is a solution to that as well, http://code.google.com/p/partiwm/wiki/xpra

Like screen but for X apps.

Comment

NX gives you the choice of disconnecting or terminating.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi_kid_aka_bod View Post
          NX gives you the choice of disconnecting or terminating.
          Even if you are on wifi, and you loose signal?

Comment

Originally posted by cynyr View Post
            Even if you are on wifi, and you loose signal?
            I have tested it removing lan cable. It does not close the session.

Comment

uh... I dunno why they keep bothering with VNC. It's so slow it's not funny anymore.

I think we should move to more modern technologies like NX or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by Smorg View Post
                You can share an existing window or session with nx? Do you have some information for someone who isn't too much into that?

Comment

Thomas Thurman of Collabora has just announced the first public release of xzibit which offers a few features now, but Thurman has much greater plans ahead for this free software project.
                  "Sup dawg, we put windows in your windows so you can computer while you compute"?

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
                    "Sup dawg, we put windows in your windows so you can computer while you compute"?
                    I'm glad to see at least one other person had the same train of thought- your line is also mostly better than the one I had in mind.

Comment

Working...
                    X