• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tball View Post
    There is another problem with
    Code:
    export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
    It forces your opengl version to 1.4 and then makes me unable to play HoN.
    The problem with LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT is that if a GL program crashes, it takes down all of X with it.

I remember using it back when OpenArena was broken with the free drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
      Oh, the SC is very stable. It's just that Arch makes KDE software even more unstable than Kubuntu does. Kubuntu at least tries to fix past mistakes but Arch obviously has no interest in this....

On openSUSE 11.3 KDE SC 4.5.0 was already rock solid. I'm downloading 4.5.1 now.
      KDE 4.5 is rock solid here in Arch. Gnome is messed up in Fedora and crashes frequently and this shows the latest 'stable' versions of Gnome aren't stable at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        I am REALLY interested in what way Archlinux is doing this. I wonder how Archlinux "breaks" this package.
        It's dbus which is messed up:

Today, KDE updated the Applications, Platform and Plasma Workspaces to 4.5.1, new releases bringing a number of important bugfixes on top of 4.5.0. 4.5.0 was released only three weeks ago and receives monthly service updates. 4.5.1 is the first in this series of bugfix and translation updates. These releases improve stability and the user experience further, while not bringing major new features or bigger changes to the user interface. 4.5.1 is a safe upgrade for anybody running 4.5.0.

look at the second comment. Dbus won't be fixed till another release... However, I'm not affected so far.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
          The KDE hate around here is hilarious.

Debian and RedHat are STILL trying to kill it. You'd think that they'd have given up after 10 years.
          Oh? Are you on drugs?
          I'm using SC 4.5.1 on Fedora 13 (From kde-redhat, Fedora KDE SIG's testing group) and works more-or-less out of the box.
          KDE under Fedora is far from being a second hand citizen.

- Gilboa
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Works for me

I love KDE now. Only problem i had in Archlinux was Dolphin occassionally crashed and login screen no longer remembers the last user name.

I have upgraded to 4.5.1 and so far Dolphin hasn't crashed, but user name still isn't remembered at login. Hardly a show stopper.

I don't feel any nostalgia for Gnome, happy KDE camper here.

Comment

In Arch Linux there is now a patched dbus 1.2 to fix the threadsafe problem http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/pack...us-core/trunk/ that affects mostly to Dolphin.

Comment

I'd like to see the head KDE guys drop all usage of KDE and use Gnome or Windows for a month or two and then go back to using KDE. Hopefully then they'd finally see a lot of the annoyances that people describe that are still not addressed.

Comment

Fascinating.

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  KDE 4.5 is rock solid here in Arch. Gnome is messed up in Fedora and crashes frequently and this shows the latest 'stable' versions of Gnome aren't stable at all.
                  I've got a F14 alpha(Gnome) running just fine.
                  BTW, to those who say Red Hat "owns" Gnome in some sense, look at this http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2010/07/28/gnome-census/
                  They are the single largest contributor, but only just. Interestingly, volunteer work was the largest segment with nearly 24.5%.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeBooteR69 View Post
                    I love KDE now. Only problem i had in Archlinux was Dolphin occassionally crashed and login screen no longer remembers the last user name.
                    I had this problem with login screen in Kubuntu with 4.5, but I don't have it in Arch. Maybe it depends on KDM theme? I'm using Ethais.

Comment

Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                      I'd like to see the head KDE guys drop all usage of KDE and use Gnome or Windows for a month or two and then go back to using KDE. Hopefully then they'd finally see a lot of the annoyances that people describe that are still not addressed.
                      They don't need to, they just need to go back to KDE 3.5 for a little bit. Then maybe they'll finally realize....

Why is my second X screen black in KDE4?

Comment

Working...
                      X