No announcement yet.

Adobe Still Shafts Linux With H.264 GPU Decoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

News-flash.. x86-64 ? Oh, right, more bits than Adobe can handle. Even if Flash won't be gone in a flash, at least it'll die a slow death.

Comment

is it any wonder when you can find five different graphics driver for every model of every manufacturer in linux ? ....

Comment

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
        Yeah, I ended up doing the same thing, except with Chrome. Works fine on 64-bit Fedora, assuming you install a couple extra dependencies that the Chrome RPM apparently doesn't require even though the binary certainly does. (May be fixed in newer RPMs from Google, dunno.)
        Yeah, I had similar hilariousness trying to sort out deps for the 32bit Flash. I was rather surprised libcurl was among them.

Comment

Originally posted by pedepy View Post
          is it any wonder when you can find five different graphics driver for every model of every manufacturer in linux ? ....

Come on. It can't be that hard to implement all the same interfaces and use all the same libraries in 64bit as in 32bit. If they have to junk driver-specific implementations in Flash, they're obviously doing something wrong...

Comment

Well, on the bright side, people interested testing the latest Firefox beta will find html5 video tag with both VP8 and theora are hardware accelerated on Linux with both 32 and 64 bit browsers. Mozilla's stated goal is to have html5 video tag with both WebM and theora outperform flash on all platforms for the 4.0 release.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
              Well, on the bright side, people interested testing the latest Firefox beta will find html5 video tag with both VP8 and theora are hardware accelerated on Linux with both 32 and 64 bit browsers.
              Oh do please share where you find such capabilities listed.

Comment

Never mind, read the notes, partial acceleration and just oGL acceleration.

Comment

Adobe continues to amaze

They seem bent on proving that they don't need Apple's help in marginalizing their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                    Well, on the bright side, people interested testing the latest Firefox beta will find html5 video tag with both VP8 and theora are hardware accelerated on Linux with both 32 and 64 bit browsers. Mozilla's stated goal is to have html5 video tag with both WebM and theora outperform flash on all platforms for the 4.0 release.
                    I just installed the Firefox 4 Beta 3 just to test this, and playing back fullscreen youtube videos is slow as molasses here.

Comment

Make sure you've enabled webm beta on youtube and that that particular video has been encoded. Otherwise, you'll be using flash. That being said, keep in mind that not only is Firefox 4 still in beta and unfinished, but so is youtube's webm implementation. There are known bugs with youtubes implementation causing this. If memory serves, a mozilla dev on bugzilla mentioned that google knows about the problem and are working on it. Another issue is if you set the quality to 720p or higher, it downloads slow because if I understand correctly (I'm making an educated guess here), google isn't allocating as much bandwidth for the webm beta as their flash video.

Comment

Working...
                      X