Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
    http://tinyurl.com/2au7dl725

The unidentified portion is mostly Ubuntu users on Chrome, Firefox alphas and betas, and midori. The Debian portion is partially Ubuntu users on Epiphany.

75% of the linux desktop means 3 times the share of all competing platforms COMBINED-- and as we saw with the whole sound thing, if you provide ten developers with ten API choices, they'll all pick different ones for no good reason :P
    Your link is broken... [edit: you fixed it...]

On Topic: It would be nice if Adobe would just pick one and run with it. If they can manage to get Flash running on VA-API, I think that would be the ideal situation. It would give them Nvidia compatibility, intel, ?VIA?, and ATI. Anyone else can feel free to implement their own backend.

Comment

http://tinyurl.com/2au7dl7

Comment editing cuts out WAY too fast here.
      Can't view the chart; don't have Flash.

Comment

The unidentified portion is mostly Ubuntu users on Chrome, Firefox alphas and betas, and midori. The Debian portion is partially Ubuntu users on Epiphany.
        [citation needed]

Comment

as an Ubuntu user i like that chart, but I doubt fedora has such little share, also arch doesn't appear, which would mean that arch must have the noisiest community in the unixosphere(?).

Id say that the truth lies somewhere between what was posted and distrowacth.

Comment

Originally posted by xir_ View Post
            as an Ubuntu user i like that chart, but I doubt fedora has such little share, also arch doesn't appear, which would mean that arch must have the noisiest community in the unixosphere(?).

Id say that the truth lies somewhere between what was posted and distrowacth.
            Nah, U's market-share really is huge on the desktop side. I remember checking it on some sites and at that moment:
            - 70% was Ubuntu
            - 20% was Debian/Mint
            which brings 90% of the desktop to the Debian family on some level.

I do have to be honest that Ubuntu was regarded a lot hotter back then (around 7.10/8.04) then it is now. Also, my test wasn't exactly thorough (I only did three site's with probably a lot of newbies).

Still, even if the majority of the users would be on Debian in some way, you won't see the sort of thing someone posted above about Ubuntu making the calls. Ubuntu will start making the calls in open-source country when hell freezes over (and they know it).

Comment

75% of the linux desktop
              ...is a made-up number. Ubuntu people typically do not mess with user agents.

The situation with Linux has typically been that the people who write the code make decisions about what is used.

This disqualifies Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
                On Topic: It would be nice if Adobe would just pick one and run with it. If they can manage to get Flash running on VA-API, I think that would be the ideal situation. It would give them Nvidia compatibility, intel, ?VIA?, and ATI. Anyone else can feel free to implement their own backend.
                I wish people would quit it with this claim. VA-API is missing the features necessary to get tear-free, audio-synced frame presentation (the 'P' in VDPAU). A VA-API wrapper on top of VDPAU loses one of VDPAU's biggest features.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
                  VA-API is missing the features necessary to get tear-free, audio-synced frame presentation (the 'P' in VDPAU).
                  Uhm, it's not like the presentation queue is THAT much of a must-have, it can be easily emulated.
                  Also, Flash won't use it at all. Flash's hardware acceleration is similar to VLC's.

Comment

Originally posted by Tares View Post
                    I would be more happy for a fully working native 64bit version instead of youtube gpu acceleration.
                    In the light of the recent events I just decided to install a 32bit Firefox so I can run the 32bit Flash properly. Working perfect on my 64bit Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      In the light of the recent events I just decided to install a 32bit Firefox so I can run the 32bit Flash properly. Working perfect on my 64bit Fedora.
                      Yeah, I ended up doing the same thing, except with Chrome. Works fine on 64-bit Fedora, assuming you install a couple extra dependencies that the Chrome RPM apparently doesn't require even though the binary certainly does. (May be fixed in newer RPMs from Google, dunno.)

Comment

Working...
                      X