KDE SC 4.5 Just Got Hit With A One-Week Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    The apps (actually, the infrastructure) are the main point. It helps develop powerful apps easily. Stuff like K3b and Amarok.
    Speaking of Amarok, is amarok2 working yet? It has been terribly buggy for a very, very long time...

Comment

I haven't had any problems.

But then again, I do use it for relatively straightforward stuff and don't use any flashy plasmoids with it. I can't remember the last time it crashed, and I have a relatively large collection.

Most of the complaints were from amarok1 power users who didn't like the new design. As a player, it's been solid for me for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Speaking of Amarok, is amarok2 working yet? It has been terribly buggy for a very, very long time...
        I cried when I tried it out over the last two years (has it really been that long?) and have been in music-player limbo for quite some time. Then plunged in again a few weeks ago... and it is now my favorite player. The GUI still requires some exploring to find all functions but it is now highly customizable. Setting up the playlist layout and organizing your files requires a little more brain cell activation than I had expected, but it works very well and is the only player where I can get it just the way I want. Oh yeah, and it plays your music too. Two thumbs up

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          Works fairly well nowdays, pretty much on par with the old 1.4 series now and they finally have proper device management on it. Kaffiene on the other hand still has a loooooooooooong way to go to catch up to it's KDE3 counterpart.

Comment

Kaffeine lost a lot of momentum through the long porting delay. It used to be my preferred GUI player (I still use mplayer from the command line for most things), but has been replaced by SMPlayer and VLC in the meantime, both Qt4-based and more powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Kaffeine lost a lot of momentum through the long porting delay. It used to be my preferred GUI player (I still use mplayer from the command line for most things), but has been replaced by SMPlayer and VLC in the meantime, both Qt4-based and more powerful.
              It's worth to mention KDE has working phonon-vlc backend now. As for the first release it's quite stable except Amarok crashes with it sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                It's worth to mention KDE has working phonon-vlc backend now. As for the first release it's quite stable except Amarok crashes with it sometimes.
                It can not be stable and to crash, As we know it crash, it is not stable.

For me it crashes when closing Amarok. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240001

Comment

Phonon-vlc is not only unstable right now, but also broken.

It lacks gapless playback, fade-out/fade-in, and correct timing information.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
                    It can not be stable and to crash, As we know it crash, it is not stable.

For me it crashes when closing Amarok. https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=240001
                    But can't it be quite stable when it doesn't crash too often? I tested it with Amarok 2.3.1, so maybe it's Amarok fault, because it was released quite long before phonon-vlc and maybe it doesn't support vlc backend very well yet. Everything else is stable.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      I tested it with Amarok 2.3.1, so maybe it's Amarok fault, because it was released quite long before phonon-vlc and maybe it doesn't support vlc backend very well yet. Everything else is stable.
                      Applications using the Phonon API are independent of the backend used. In fact, they can't even know which backend is currently used. All they see is Phonon. Only Phonon itself sees and talks to the backend, not the application. If an application has to be altered for it to work correctly with a specific backend, then either that backend is broken or Phonon in general.

Comment

Working...
                      X