Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fixed: The Linux Desktop Responsiveness Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't really noticed this problem since I stopped using swap. I also use the -ck patchset.

Would I benefit from this patch at all or should I not bother?

(I'm willing to test this if no one knows.)

Comment

If it ain't broken...tweak it.

Comment

I have 6GB RAM, so it's not a RAM issue.

Comment

Maybe there should be a swap priority setting that will tell the kernel to disfavor swapping out UI processes, since LRU (or whatever the current algorithm is) isn't working. All-or-nothing mlock is probably not sufficient for this. Maybe setting higher ionice levels for UI-related processes in the startup scripts would help, too.

Comment

I've got rid of this problem on my laptop after some realtime patches got merged and I set my scheduler to preemptible.
            but it persists on my desktop ... I thought it was a bad working raid driver.

Originally posted by movieman View Post
            Yeah, I used to love the way that XP would swap out the web browser I was actively using when I was copying a 2GB file from one drive to another in the background.
            Try Windows7 it's the same all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
              I've got rid of this problem on my laptop after some realtime patches got merged and I set my scheduler to preemptible.
              but it persists on my desktop ... I thought it was a bad working raid driver.

Try Windows7 it's the same all the way.
              Yup same deal on Win 7 Pro

Comment

Here, Windows 7 does not freeze when copying big files.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  Here, Windows 7 does not freeze when copying big files.
                  It does for some people including me

Comment

You also need to clarify what "freeze" means to you :P If you mean that the GUI gets skippy and lags a bit, yes I have that too. If you mean that the GUI is unusable for half a minute, then no, I only have that on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                      It does for some people including me
                      Do you have an SSD? Windows is notoriously know for locking up explorer (that's also the GUI) when devices are not responsive.

A lot of SSD's out there, especialy older SSD models, are know for being unresponsive when writing, because that usualy blocks reading.

Comment

Working...
                      X