KDE SC 4.7 May Utilize OpenGL 3.x For Compositing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phoen1x View Post
    Cool story... NOT. Amature looking gui is ahead osx? What were u smoking? Technology might be not bad, but the look of kde stuff is so damn ugly, they should hire REAL designers.
    I love these bold statements.

For what it's worth, my girlfriend is a real designer, and she uses a Mac. She has refused to use Linux for the last 10 years because it was too ugly and not usable.

KDE 4.2 finally changed her mind and she enjoys using it.

It is a really mature and solid desktop where everything fits together, put together after 10 years of collected experience. For me, it was the first time that I've felt that the Linux desktop surpassed the commercial offerings in terms of polish (I've always preferred the Unix way, but it was objectively rough around the edges in many respects).

You should try using it on a distribution which actually cares -- or installing from source and adapting it to your use. A bunch of people only know Ubuntu, and then they use the occasional KDE app which then doesn't fit in because it wasn't Ubuntified and then draw conclusions. If you use the KDE desktop the way it's meant to be used, it's a fantastic, stable, integrated, modern and slick experience. KDE 4.5 is what a Unix desktop should look like in the 21st century.

Every time I use a default Ubuntu GNOME desktop, I feel like I'm travelling 5 years back in time.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
      For what it's worth, my girlfriend is a real designer, and she uses a Mac. She has refused to use Linux for the last 10 years because it was too ugly and not usable.

KDE 4.2 finally changed her mind and she enjoys using it.
      Yeah I can say a similar thing about my sister, also a graphics designer, she resisted a bit longer (until 4.3) but now she also finaly enjoys using Linux. And I have similar experience from our primary school where I administer computers and from time to time give extra courses to kids. We have a mix of Linux machines with Edubuntu/GNOME (on old less powerful machines) and PCLinuxOS/KDE on normal machines. And kids enjoy working on KDE machines a lot more.

As for me, i don't care so much about looks, I'm more interested into interested new technologies and KDE is ahead quite a lot here and even advances faster, so that's why I'm currently more interested in ti.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        Then blame gtk.
        That's exactly what I'm doing

Comment

Eclipse and Firefox with Qt

Originally posted by Koorac View Post
          I like the design, but firefox and eclipse are a real pain!
          Luckily we may soon get Eclipse (SWT) with Qt GUI. There was also work to port Firefox to Qt, if I remember Nokia was doing it, but unfortunately I don't hear about any progress anymore

Comment

Firefox has been ported to use a Qt frontend at least 3 times now and abandoned each time it started looking slightly promising.

In a way, it's similar to OpenOffice, which does have a KDE 3 front-end, but not one for KDE 4 AFAIK.

If Nokia is really putting some weight behind it, then it might finally happen. Otherwise, there are webkit-based browsers like Arora, Konqueror and Rekonq.

Comment

Firefox has been ported to use a Qt frontend at least 3 times now and abandoned each time it started looking slightly promising.
              Yeah, too bad. I guess Nokia also abandoned porting when they started to just switch to WebKit-based browsers on their devices.

In a way, it's similar to OpenOffice, which does have a KDE 3 front-end, but not one for KDE 4 AFAIK.
              I'm running OOo 3.2.1 here on Gentoo and Mandriva and it appears to have KDE4 interface. Still some bugs here and there though.

If Nokia is really putting some weight behind it, then it might finally happen. Otherwise, there are webkit-based browsers like Arora, Konqueror and Rekonq.
              Nokia probably also just switched to WebKit-based browsers, no wonder since WebKit is part of Qt, so i guess they've also lost interest in Gecko/Firefox.

Comment

EDIT -- there seems to be a Qt4 frontend for OpenOffice now, which is great news, at least according to the Arch wiki:

Comment

I love these bold statements.

Every time I use a default Ubuntu GNOME desktop, I feel like I'm travelling 5 years back in time.
                  Default ubuntu gnome is not default gnome from source. I tried to use kde 4.2 or 4.3 can't remember the version now. Whole gui is so damn ugly. Transparent copycat panel from windows vista, ugly icons. KDE is stuff created by geeks for geeks, who have no taste. Check this link http://www.kde.org/images/screenshots/konqueror.png and check the DEFAULT icons. God... so ugly, who could even create such an ugly icons? Default BLUE shadows, lol what were they thinking? Yes u can customize it, but default look is so ugly. I guess i should create my own blog to compare gui of gnome, osx and kde. Oh and copy/paste compiz code into kwin code is such an awesome idea

Comment

Your link doesn't work, and I have no idea what you're talking about.

Other than saying "ugly" 15 times, your post has no contents And KDE introduced the panel design now used by Gnome and Vista 11 years ago. It's hardly a copycat panel from vista.

Speaking of ugly "geeks for geeks", my designer gf refuses to use any GTK app as a matter of principle.

Comment

Chrome uses Gtk, but it manages to not look like trash in KDE. It looks the same as it does anywhere else, but the tools menu does look like normal Gtk in KDE.

Also, I'm using a black color scheme in KDE which works great, except some browsers like Firefox and Konqueror (IIRC) use my black theme to color text fields and buttons black, and if there is no explicit background color on a page it makes the background black. It's really annoying, but Chrome doesn't do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X