GNOME 2.31.4 Is Ready For Some Testing Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
    Different OS's and desktop environments use memory differently, and KDE's memory usage has always appeared high because it keeps a lot of items loaded into ram. What's the point of having 4 gigs of memory if most of it sits unused? Buffer up as much as possible.
    I know how Linux manages memory. KDE should keep it's dirty claws out of memory management and leave it to the kernel. The kernel can free up caches and buffers when free memory runs low. The same goes for fglrx and some other programs. They all assume that all the memory is for them, but it doesn't work that way in a multi-task environment.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
      I know how Linux manages memory. KDE should keep it's dirty claws out of memory management and leave it to the kernel. The kernel can free up caches and buffers when free memory runs low. The same goes for fglrx and some other programs. They all assume that all the memory is for them, but it doesn't work that way in a multi-task environment.
      Um yeah I don't know what you mean by a multitask environment, but KDE always seems more responsive to me than GNOME. The average end user doesn't give a crap about ideological principles like who should or shouldn't be accessing. All they care about is what's more responsive: Dolphin + Juk + K3B or Nautilus + Banshee + Brassero. That's about all the multi-tasking most people engage in.

Comment

Working...
      X