Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg 0.6 Released With H.264, VP8 Love

Phoronix: FFmpeg 0.6 Released With H.264, VP8 Love

The release of FFmpeg 0.5 last March was significant as it was the first official release in quite a while for this popular and widely used free software media program. Fifteen months later, FFmpeg 0.6 has been released with plenty of changes including support for Google's VP8 codec / WebM and improvements for HTML5/H.264 video playback...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well, at least once ffmpeg team has a good reason to bump version number - a new, soon-to-be major, codec support.

i don't want to start bikeshed discussion, but version number bump was imho a bit too high.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
      i don't want to start bikeshed discussion, but version number bump was imho a bit too high.
      They're just making up for all the years it was stuck on 0.4.

Comment

Does it now support ASF/WMV in (microsoft _nonstandard_) RTSP streams served from windows servers? (as far as I know it wasn't supported in Linux by any decoder/player yet).

Comment

Edit:
          I mean for example AV TV streams served by UPC (major cable TV provider in Poland).

Comment

Originally posted by xeros View Post
            Does it now support ASF/WMV in (microsoft _nonstandard_) RTSP streams served from windows servers? (as far as I know it wasn't supported in Linux by any decoder/player yet).
            Well the changelog states:

- RTP depacketization of ASF and RTSP from WMS servers

I don't know if this pertains to your issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gellert View Post
              Well the changelog states:

- RTP depacketization of ASF and RTSP from WMS servers

I don't know if this pertains to your issue.
              Well it might be that issue. Thanks, I'll try to test it.

Comment

What about Blu-ray support?

Wasn't there a Phoronix article some time ago that AACS would be supported by ffmpeg, soon. It's such a schame that you still can't play Blu-ray discs on Linux.

Comment

There is very little that FFmpeg can do about BluRay.

The format was specifically designed and engineered not to work on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                    There is very little that FFmpeg can do about BluRay.

The format was specifically designed and engineered not to work on Linux.
                    Hmm, if I remember the article correctly they said that AACS needs to be implemented in ffmpeg as the demultiplexer needs to do all the AACS decryption. As ffmpeg can't provide the decryption keys of course, it would be the user's responsibility to put them somewhere, where ffmpeg can find them ($HOME/.ffmpeg/aacs).

As I don't know much about AACS or Blu-ray encryption, I really can't see the problem why Blu-ray should not work on Linux. Blu-ray ripping already works, so where is the problem in playing Blu-rays? Of course Linux would never be officially supported as the decryption keys are exposed, but I really don't care as long as it works. Valid decryption keys have leaked in the past and will leak in the future and as long as it is the user's responsibility to provide them, the ffmpeg team should get no legal problems.

Comment

Working...
                    X