Linux is not ready for Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
    Umm, the drop-down menu is how you change devices. Half the time, automatic detect doesn't work anyways. Even on Windows, I had to tell Skype to use my Bluetooth headset everytime I open it.

It would forget.
    It works well with PulseAudio. I paired my headset once with the Gnome desktop and told Skype once to prefer bluetooth audio. Now, when bluetooth is available Skype uses it. When bluetooth audio isn't available it auto flicks back to the sound card. Even while using the sound card audio if I switch on my bluetooth headset PulseAudio automagically reroutes the audio to the bluetooth headset.

Comment

• I don't see why we need a sound aemon to prvide this functinality.

Extending gnome-bluetooth and Bluez would work just as well, without the complications.

Comment

• Edit: I don't see why we need a sound daemon to provide this functionality.

Extending gnome-bluetooth and Bluez would work just as well, without the complications.

Comment

I don't see why we need a sound aemon to prvide this functinality.

And if you do extend it then there might be no reason for Pulse in my view. Will the ALSA guys build this kind of functionality in? I don't know. While they're at it they could improve the quality of dmix.

Comment

Edit: I don't see why we need a sound daemon to provide this functionality.

So what you propose is that every app in the world has to implement this stuff on it's own. All the way back to DOS times. That's what I call "future oriented" :P

Comment

• No. I'm proposing the Bluetooth drivers provide the on-the-fly Bluetooth audio switching.

Seriously using a sound daemon to do this is like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

Comment

No. I'm proposing the Bluetooth drivers provide the on-the-fly Bluetooth audio switching.

Seriously using a sound daemon to do this is like using a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.
                The bluetooth stack is a completely inappropriate place for this.

Comment

• Why? It's what pairs and connects the devices. The mechanism that connects the Bluetooth audio device should make the Bluetooth audio device default.

Comment

No. I'm proposing the Bluetooth drivers provide the on-the-fly Bluetooth audio switching.

You can implement sound-related features in a sound daemon, or in all kinds of different libraries/daemons. So, maybe Bluetooth drivers should take the relevant code from PA and put it in their own repository. Doesn't change a thing, but at least it isn't called PA.

Comment

• I should add that bluetooth is one example of this functionality.

It applies equally well to a father at home listening to audio playback on his pc, and when his kids go to bed he can then plugin a USB headset and have the audio re-routed to that as just another example.

Then there's the cases when you're dealing with game audio playback where you might want to switch between your stereo and a headset.

Comment

Working...
                      X