No announcement yet.

Linux is not ready for Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is exactly why I ignored the silly troll attempt by bringing Doom 3 a 2004 game into the argument. PA is about now and looking forward and if older games and their libraries need to be patched to work with it, so be it. PA is frankly the most mature approach to Linux audio we've had so far and while some might see it as VOIP/AOIP techdemo its networked audio approach is what gives it great multi device functionality and ability to switch devices on the fly without needing to muck around in config files. That's a mature approach because each device is profiled and works to the same standard which allows for greater variety of device support in the future.

Comment

• Edit: And LinCity-NG uses Allegro as well.

Comment

• Patching every piece of code ever created to be recoded to be tolerate of PulseAudio's buffering scheme will not fix the problem.

Especially if that patching only leads to slightly less latency and high CPU usage.

Comment

• Originally posted by IsawSparks View Post
          PA is frankly the most mature approach to Linux audio we've had so far and while some might see it as VOIP/AOIP techdemo its networked audio approach is what gives it great multi device functionality and ability to switch devices on the fly without needing to muck around in config files.
          Mucking about in config files? Switching audio devices on the fly?

*grabs picture of Xfce mixer again*

Not much .config file mucking with that. And switching devices is a drop-down menu.

Why do we need a complicated sound daemon because Gnome Volume Control is crap?

Comment

• That's one solution which while simple doesn't offer the broader device compatibility, nor forward thinking which PA does.

Also, you're entirely ignoring the AC3 routing and mixing issues when it comes to ALSA due to poor chipset profiles and poorly maintained driver support. Mucking around with asound.rc to get DTS and Dolby 5.1 vs PA properly detecting and routing streams accordingly to my Sony 5.1 Amp?

Thanks, I'll take PA. It just works.

Comment

• AC3-Passthrough works perfectly with Xfce Mixer.

You just select HDMI/SPDIF-Out as the output in the drop-down and enable it in your player.

Comment

• And USB output works as well. You just select the USB device in that drop-down and you're done.

Bluetooth needs work.

After I connect a pair of headphones using Bluetooth Properties 2.28.1, sound still plays through the speakers. Running "sudo alsa reload" fixes this, but it should happen automatically when new headphones or speakers connected. This confused me until I figured it out; I had tried "sudo alsa-utils restart", which didn't make any difference, leading me to conclude my configuration files were broken. http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices doesn't mention the reload command, and the inst...

But why do we need an entire sound daemon to allow for Bluetooth audio? That functionality should just be added to the core sound API itself.

Comment

• Seems like we just need for "sudo alsa reload" to be run when you pair your Bluetooth headphones. This could be added to gnome-bluetooth or Bluez. Without a high-latency sound daemon.

Comment

• Originally posted by darkphoenix22 View Post
                    Seems like we just need for "sudo alsa reload" to be run when you pair your Bluetooth headphones. This could be added to gnome-bluetooth or Bluez. Without a high-latency sound daemon.
                    and that fixes auto re-routing of audio?

Comment

• Umm, the drop-down menu is how you change devices. Half the time, automatic detect doesn't work anyways. Even on Windows, I had to tell Skype to use my Bluetooth headset everytime I open it.

It would forget.

Comment

Working...
                      X