• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic Google Opens Up VP8, Launches New Container Format

Google Opens Up VP8, Launches New Container Format

Phoronix: Google Opens Up VP8, Launches New Container Format

While there has been speculation about it for weeks, Google has announced today from their I/O conference that they have open-sourced the VP8 video codec. VP8 is the video codec that was developed by On2 Technologies and then Google got its hands on it by acquiring the company a few months back. The older On2 VP3 codec is what went on to become the Theora codec. Google has also announced WebM as a new container format that combines the VP8 video codec with Vorbis audio...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI2OA

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Then again, libre and gratis are a poorly defined concepts that can mean various things and so it's hard to sum it up with a single word in a fashion that would actually mean anything useful. Namely
    libre: "with few or no restrictions" What constitutes a restriction? How much is few?
    gratis: Is it about money? Is it about having no obligation to be useful in return?
    Being more verbose is a good idea.
    Hehe if you could speak greek you would be surprised how easily these two can be defined

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Apopas View Post
    You can not imagine how uncomfortable and confusing is that the english language can not separate free libre from free gratis...
    Then again, libre and gratis are a poorly defined concepts that can mean various things and so it's hard to sum it up with a single word in a fashion that would actually mean anything useful. Namely
    libre: "with few or no restrictions" What constitutes a restriction? How much is few?
    gratis: Is it about money? Is it about having no obligation to be useful in return?
    Being more verbose is a good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by etnlWings View Post
    There's no confusion on that point at all.
    Oh there is. The word free has double meaning and thus we always have to explain if it is free speech or free beer. Thus sucks since the difference between is vast.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    All I can say is that I had an educated suspicion that this would happen, it just came sooner then I anticipated.

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    h264 could just as easily remain under the current terms come 2015.
    Maybe I should have rephrased that to include the word "confirmed" back then.

Leave a comment:

• etnlWings
    replied
    There's no confusion on that point at all.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    You can not imagine how uncomfortable and confusing is that the english language can not separate free libre from free gratis...

Leave a comment:

• etnlWings
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Well at least one good thing has come of VP8: it got MPEG-LA to stop being coy about their intentions.

Originally posted by spiritofreason View Post
    For end users? Unless I'm reading something wrong, that's not true. It's free for whomever is serving AVC videos on the web for free (which may not include services that include advertisements).
    Which is blatant sophistry, as they're necessitated to make a loss and forbidden from minimising those losses. 'Free' suddenly becomes rather costly.

Leave a comment:

• benmoran
    replied
    There is still plenty of reason to embrace a free alternative.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Another link,

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20014864-264.html

Leave a comment:

Working...
X