X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by benmoran View Post
    The OpenGL part really caught my interest. I'm going to give this a try.

@ DroidHacker:
    While I agree that we should move on from flash to better (and open) technologies, it's wrong to say that flash replacement projects are worthless. There already is a huge amount of flash content out there, much of which will never be recreated in non-flash form. Basically, a modern flash replacement is needed for legacy purposes.
    I have the same kind of mentality towards the Wine project. Sure I always use native Linux software if possible, but there is so much pre-existing windows software out there that people need to use.
    Whether or not these type of projects are prolonging the life of "dying" software is something that can be debated.
    The current state of flash on smartphones (or should I say LACK of flash on smartphones) has already convinced most web developers to abandon their flash trash. There are hardly ANY web sites out there that actually require flash plugin anymore. There really is NO NEED to support legacy flash components since flash never actually did anything useful! It can all be safely abandoned without any significant impact.

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by Pfanne View Post
    the new html5 player works great, but you dont have the option for hd videos plus at random times you will still get the old or the new flashplayer and not the html5 one.
    Contrary to the "new video" feature of html5, you DO NOT NEED html5 to embed video directly in web pages. You just need to throw your video into an <embed> tag and its done! ANY sensible browser with a video player plugin will be happy with that!

Leave a comment:

• droidhacker
    replied
    Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
    Be fair now, it does a lot of useful things and there are a lot of replacements being build right now. Yeah sure, it doesn't do the the useful things very efficient but guess what? You got to row with paddles you have.

Stop complaining and start doing something productive for the OS community if it is so dear to you.
    Name ONE useful thing that it does.
    I dare you.
    Fact is that it doesn't do a SINGLE USEFUL THING.
    It is pointless bloat.

Leave a comment:

• yotambien
    replied
    Originally posted by KAMiKAZOW View Post
    GNOME-MPlayer fills the buffer first which is set to 2MB by default. You can decrease the buffer size to achieve immediate playback.
    Ah, that's cool. I asked because it wasn't any clear what the script does from the website.

Leave a comment:

• KAMiKAZOW
    replied
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I thought it used the 3GP file container format, hence the *.3gp , meaning the 3G Part, designed for mobile networks...

MPEG-AVC is the h.264 container format... which is the 14 part...
    AVC is merely another name for h.264. AVC is the name used by the MPEG consortium, while h.264 is the name for the same thing by ITU-T.

The 3GP container format is an implementation of MPEG-4 Part 12.
    3GP uses AVC and AAC.

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
    Does the video start playing immediately or you have to wait for the download to finish?
    GNOME-MPlayer fills the buffer first which is set to 2MB by default. You can decrease the buffer size to achieve immediate playback.

Leave a comment:

• myxal
    replied
    Originally posted by not.sure View Post
    So rather than doing your flamewars, has anybody actually tried that thing (I know, crazy idea...).
    I wanted to, but the ppa has packages only for lucid

Leave a comment:

• thalience
    replied
    Originally posted by whizse View Post
    Well, it's at least a lot more complete.
    From the writeup, it looks like Gnash is "mostly complete" for ActionScript 2, with no real ActionScript 3 support. LightSpark is "mostly complete" for ActionScript 3, but does not handle previous versions at all.

This would make it very difficult to compare the two for performance or compatibility, as no SWF files would even try to run under both of them.

Leave a comment:

• not.sure
    replied
    So rather than doing your flamewars, has anybody actually tried that thing (I know, crazy idea...).

Leave a comment:

• whizse
    replied
    Well, it's at least a lot more complete.

Leave a comment:

• myxal
    replied
    Originally posted by whizse View Post
    There's really only (AFAIK) Lightspark and Gnash, and Lightspark is way to early to be anywhere near complete enough for such a comparison.
    ..as opposed to Gnash?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X