No announcement yet.

LLVM Replaces libstdc++ Library With libc++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this argument over licenses is irrelevant.

if the project's major contributers feel that their work is being ripped off, they always have the option of switching to GPL. see the wine vs. cedega split for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
      Please, people. Attack the argument, not the person.
      In theory that's right. But I'm just pointing out a pattern that I've noticed with a particular user (deanjo). Given M$'s and Apple's billions of dollars, it is trivial for them to hire "PR interns" (aka. well-disguised trolls) whose sole purpose is to blackmouth and discredit Linux and FOSS on sites like Phoronix (which are relatively few), while at the same time pushing for proprietary solutions that don't protect users' rights. I'm sure Steve Jobs or Bill Gates would find creating mindshare in this manner quite amusing.

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
        In theory that's right. But I'm just pointing out a pattern that I've noticed with a particular user (deanjo). Given M$'s and Apple's billions of dollars, it is trivial for them to hire "PR interns" (aka. well-disguised trolls) whose sole purpose is to blackmouth and discredit Linux and FOSS on sites like Phoronix (which are relatively few), while at the same time pushing for proprietary solutions that don't protect users' rights. I'm sure Steve Jobs or Bill Gates would find creating mindshare in this manner quite amusing.
        I think everyone is aware of the phenomenon. The problem is that you're attacking a person, not that you may be right. Attacking people doesn't lead anywhere. Even if astroturfing is going on, which it is not, the result is not any different than someone expressing an opinion that differs from your own.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Wow Apple is paying them to work on projects they utilize. How dare they? BTW the Apple contract does not prohibit GPL 3. It utilizes a standard non-compete clause.
          We were not talking about the payment. If someone pays devs to develop under the GPL I can say the same what you said.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Sure it does. The original code and any subsequent contribution back remains free as well. If someone does not contribute back to the project it is their code they are deciding not to do it with. The original code stays free.
            Yes, but I meant the code+new code, new versions.

Comment

Let's distribute some tin foil hats. Paranoia is sinking in.

Comment

Originally posted by kgonzales View Post
                Let's distribute some tin foil hats. Paranoia is sinking in.
                Nahh... deanjo tends to act in a manner that runs hot and cold- and tends to invite varying levels of abuse heaped on him in the forum. He's done things that might lead one to think of him along those lines, right or wrong. He definitely acts along the lines of a classic Astroturfer from the OS2 era of antics from Microsoft. So much so, I question his motives and thoughts (and did so in a civil manner in this thread...) from time to time. There's times where we seem to know where the man stands, and others...it's not even remotely clear what is going on on the other end of the 'net in his case.

Comment

Not once Apple steals the BSD-licensed code and puts it in DRM- and EULA-stiffled software that takes away user's freedom. I care about my users, and I want to do everything I can so that they retain full control of their computers. Why? For selfish reasons of course, because I count myself as a user too.

Deanjo, you seem to be sent by one of these proprietary companies to astroturf against free and open source software. On every article, on every thread, you push for the proprietary option or the one that allows for denying user freedoms.
                  Yeah, like Webkit that they completely stole and don't let anyone use, and is full of DRM...

Oh wait, they actually wrote most of it and open sourced it when they had no obligation to.

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                    Yeah, like Webkit that they completely stole and don't let anyone use, and is full of DRM...

Oh wait, they actually wrote most of it and open sourced it when they had no obligation to.
                    Yeah right. Webkit is a khtml fork, so rather they should be thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post

Ha ha. They had an obligation to, or else they would be violating the GPL since as kraftman said, Webkit is based on the KDE project's KHTML.

Comment

Working...
                      X