LLVM Replaces libstdc++ Library With libc++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Yes, you serve GPL projects thus you serve the GPL community.
    thus slavery

While using BSD you serve companies/people who made closed source programs,
    BS, utilizing a BSD license you serve nobody but yourself. If I choose to slap a piece of code out there that everybody can use then all the better. That is my choice and allows others that may not share my same views to still benefit from my code.

I'm talking about the BSD type license which allows people to do what they want with the code which is licensed under it.
    I still don't see the issue with that. My code remains free for everyone to use. It just means that I'm not saying "You can only use my code if you have th same set of blinders on". GPL in my eyes is no better then any other license that prohibits "true" free use of the code.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      thus slavery
      You don't get lashes for not contributing.

BS, utilizing a BSD license you serve nobody but yourself. If I choose to slap a piece of code out there that everybody can use then all the better. That is my choice and allows others that may not share my same views to still benefit from my code.
      So you don't mind if a GPL nut 'steals' your code?

Comment

Originally posted by Happybob View Post
        Why is Apple dumping time and effort into clang? I know they don't like being tied to gcc because of the GPL license, but again, why? I have a feeling that they want clag so badly is so they can rebrand it to "iCompiler" and charge for that too.
        Because GCC is such a big bloated slow compiler?

Comment

thus slavery
          So if I acknoledge that in a free society, there are certain rules I must follow for the good of the whole society (like no murder), that equals slavery in your book? I prefer having the rule of just laws over your anarchy.

And if I choose something else, I'm automatically a slave, just because I don't agree with you?

I still don't see the issue with that. My code remains free for everyone to use. It just means that I'm not saying "You can only use my code if you have th same set of blinders on". GPL in my eyes is no better then any other license that prohibits "true" free use of the code.
          I don't see anythign wrong with the bsd license either, if people want to use it. But I'm sick of people trashing other licenses, just because they disagree with them. Use the license you like, and quit bashing other people's choices.

Comment

thus slavery
            Yes, but it's up to each and every one to decide the licence for their own code. You obviously have no problem with people using open source code in propriety products. So if someone says that "hey, you can have this program if you pay me money" is ok, then saying "hey, you can have this program and the source and do what you want with it, but if you make changes and distribute those changes you also have to include the source code" should also be ok with you, right?. I can definately see companies and individuals be happy to utilize bsd licenced code, but I can definately see (especially with companies) a lesser degree of willingness to contribute their own code under bsdl. In a perfect world of course we wouldn't need any licences, because people would give proper credit and willingly contribute back out of the good of their heart. But reality is different and the number of available licences out there reflects that. I have nothing but admiration for people who are willing to work hard on code and release it as bsd licenced. But I certainly understand those who don't. Choice is good.

And finally, enough with this 'slavery' nonsense, programmers _choose_ licence for their code.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              So if I acknoledge that in a free society, there are certain rules I must follow for the good of the whole society (like no murder), that equals slavery in your book? I prefer having the rule of just laws over your anarchy.
              Using a BSD type license is not anarchy. The original code remains intact in it's original form for everyone to use. The original contribution remains intact.

And if I choose something else, I'm automatically a slave, just because I don't agree with you?
              You are is essence enslaving everybody that would want to use that code.

I don't see anythign wrong with the bsd license either, if people want to use it. But I'm sick of people trashing other licenses, just because they disagree with them. Use the license you like, and quit bashing other people's choices.
              Hey I was the one that got hammered on by mentioning that a person is not limited to the GPL universe. I wasn't the one that started "OMG the sky falls down if you use a BSD license.". My personal code carries no license at all. It's all PD.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                Yes, but it's up to each and every one to decide the licence for their own code. You obviously have no problem with people using open source code in propriety products.
                If it's licensed as such, your absolutely right I have no issue with it.

So if someone says that "hey, you can have this program if you pay me money" is ok, then saying "hey, you can have this program and the source and do what you want with it, but if you make changes and distribute those changes you also have to include the source code" should also be ok with you, right?.
                People can do what ever they want with their code. Just don't expect everyone to agree. If someone wants to practice a police state of rule on their code that is their choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
                  So you don't mind if a GPL nut 'steals' your code?
                  You can't steal something that is free to take by all.

Comment

Using a BSD type license is not anarchy. The original code remains intact in it's original form for everyone to use. The original contribution remains intact.
                    It's at least as comparable to anarchy as the GPL is to slavery.

You are is essence enslaving everybody that would want to use that code.
                    Slavery should really fall under Godwin's law.

You really can't "enslave" someone who wants to use that code, because by definition they are doing it of their own free choice. Slavery is the taking away of that free choice. It's like saying paying money for something = slavery, or working for a company = slavery. It's voluntary.

Hey I was the one that got hammered on by mentioning that a person is not limited to the GPL universe. I wasn't the one that started "OMG the sky falls down if you use a BSD license.". My personal code carries no license at all. It's all PD.
                    Fine, if someone was attacking the BSD license then you can defend it. That doesn't make the GPL slavery, though. Maybe you should try just defending, rather than attacking others.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      It's at least as comparable to anarchy as the GPL is to slavery.

Slavery should really fall under Godwin's law.

You really can't "enslave" someone who wants to use that code, because by definition they are doing it of their own free choice. Slavery is the taking away of that free choice. It's like saying paying money for something = slavery, or working for a company = slavery. It's voluntary.

Fine, if someone was attacking the BSD license then you can defend it. That doesn't make the GPL slavery, though. Maybe you should try just defending, rather than attacking others.

Godwin's law is a stupid concept.

Comment

Working...
                      X