Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.2 Planned For Release In June

Phoronix: Wine 1.2 Planned For Release In June

Wine 1.0 was released in June of 2008 after this free software project had already been in development since 1993. Over the past two years since that release we have continued to receive bi-weekly development snapshots, but no major stable releases have yet arrived. Fortunately, it looks like that soon may change with the release of Wine 1.2 as soon as next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about the mouse pointer problem that required Xinput 1.2 or 2 (can't remember)

Comment

Hmm not sure where the typo lies, though 1.1.44 is the current development release.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        What about the mouse pointer problem that required Xinput 1.2 or 2 (can't remember)
        This bug can only be truly fixed with XInput 2, and it is listed as a 1.2 blocker.

Comment

Yeap, I'm pleased that it's listed there. It keeps me from essentially all Unreal Engine games that don't have native ports. Hopefully it will get fixed soon!

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
            This bug can only be truly fixed with XInput 2, and it is listed as a 1.2 blocker.
            Ha... ha... hahaha... ha... ha... Okey...

You wanna hear something funny? Xinput 2 is required in order to fix the problem, but the solution must also work for older X.org installs in order to end up in the mainline.

That bug I have been following for a long time now. It made me conclude that whoever decides what gets included is a retard.

Give me a bug fix because this is blocking the Wine 1.2 release!
            -OK here are some hacks.
            No it must be a clean implementation! Patch rejected.
            -But it is impossible.
            You need to use Xinput 2 because otherwise it won't work!
            -OK here is a design propo-
            No it requires Xinput 2 and it must also work on older X.org versions!
            -Okey how about we will fix it for Xinput 2 and when Xinput 1 is ony available we wil use the current way of-
            No! It must work with both versions!
            -But-
            No make small patches first!
            -OK here are small patch-
            No! Make a proof of concept first!
            -Here is a proof of concept
            Rejected!
            -Why?
            You can do better...
            -How?
            Use a clean non-hack implementation
            -But that requires Xinput so-
            No! You can do better

Wine's project leader is a retard...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Wine's project leader is a retard...
              Wine's project leader (Alexandre Julliard) hasn't commented on the mentioned bug report nor has he been even mentioned in the comments, so I'm not sure how did you reach that conclusion.

Comment

Actually the reason that wine bug 6971 isn't moving forward is bugs or unwanted "features" in Xi2. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=26922.

I don't think they'll whip Xinput2 into shape before the release of Wine 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Anssi View Post
                  Wine's project leader (Alexandre Julliard) hasn't commented on the mentioned bug report nor has he been even mentioned in the comments, so I'm not sure how did you reach that conclusion.
                  Doesn't the leader set out the goals? Doesn't the person who sets out the goals have to know if they are reasonable? If so who else is in charge of patch inclusion if the leader isn't?

In that case it is even worse...

Comment

When you encounter regressions perform a regression test and we will try to fix them. A change which improves app A, B and C can cause a regression for app X. It can mean that the change is wrong but in a lot of cases just some new bug is exposed in another area.

In case of heroes3 it doesn't work anymore because of a Linux kernel bug (yes, really a Linux kernel bug which wasn't visible before).

Comment

Working...
                    X