Open-Source GStreamer VA-API Plug-In Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Bingo. You license the right (discusting) to distribute (thus copy) a video that you shoot.

You do not have the right to distribute it for anything else. That means you have to get permission from MPEG-LA to distribute it for commercial purposes (even if converted to OGG) and pay money to obtain the right to copy it from anything, unless you have a license from MPEG-LA (in this case your camera).

That might not be copyright as stated by your countries law, but it is in fact a de facto copyright transfer to MPEG-LA.

This is insane!
    I still don't see anything about transfering of copywrite nor anything that prevents you from transcoding the original to another format.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      I still don't see anything about transfering of copywrite nor anything that prevents you from transcoding the original to another format.
      I think the point is that once the video has been put INTO those patented formats, that it is the FACT that you need THEIR PERMISSION to do ANYTHING with it (including transferring it OUT of that format) that ***IMPLIES*** that they own your video. It doesn't actually transfer the ownership of your media to them (they have no right to demand that you hand it over), but it does lock your media into their format and their distribution license.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        I think the point is that once the video has been put INTO those patented formats, that it is the FACT that you need THEIR PERMISSION to do ANYTHING with it (including transferring it OUT of that format) that ***IMPLIES*** that they own your video. It doesn't actually transfer the ownership of your media to them (they have no right to demand that you hand it over), but it does lock your media into their format and their distribution license.
        You can however, for personal use transcode the media to another format. From that point forward you may do what ever you wish with that transcoded media. The only thing that it is restricting you from doing is utilizing the original encoding for commercial purposes.

Comment

I do no longer care about MPEG. If any of you have also read about the latest licensing horrors about MPEG-LA you will not care about it either. Did you know that any MPEG video you create/shoot, regaredless oif converting it to OGG, will have your copyright be transferred to MPEG-LA? Read the manual of you consumer and pro camera's!

Will now try to evade anything MPEG related wherever I can. Goodbye!
          MPEG-7 is even more restricting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-7

Comment

Too bad VA-API is almost useless to those of us that would get the most use out of it, GMA500 users.

Still no even halfway decent drivers, and no Xorg server 1.7 support. People in the Ubuntu forums are working on hacking together something.

There was that article back in Nov about Gallium3D drivers, that haven't appeared. There was also this post where someone talked to the devs involved.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              You can however, for personal use transcode the media to another format. From that point forward you may do what ever you wish with that transcoded media. The only thing that it is restricting you from doing is utilizing the original encoding for commercial purposes.
              Are you sure about that? I'm not a lawyer, but that seems like rather dubious logic. If you are utilizing the final encoding for commercial purposes, then doesn't that automatically imply that the original was also for commercial purposes? I don't think you can just insert a random "personal" step in there and get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by EarthMind View Post
                MPEG-7 is even more restricting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-7
                Mpeg7 is a metadata standard...

Comment

I do no longer care about MPEG. If any of you have also read about the latest licensing horrors about MPEG-LA you will not care about it either. Did you know that any MPEG video you create/shoot, regaredless oif converting it to OGG, will have your copyright be transferred to MPEG-LA? Read the manual of you consumer and pro camera's!

Will now try to evade anything MPEG related wherever I can. Goodbye!
                  Nonsense ... a manual isn't a license at least in most European countries if it isn't stated on a contract you sign when you buy the cam it is worthless.

Even in the US I am not sure it holds anything (INAL) but you are not required to read the manual, you could as well open the cam, and throw the manual away as you already know how to operate it and use it.

Comment

Originally posted by drago01 View Post
                    Nonsense ... a manual isn't a license at least in most European countries if it isn't stated on a contract you sign when you buy the cam it is worthless.

Even in the US I am not sure it holds anything (INAL) but you are not required to read the manual, you could as well open the cam, and throw the manual away as you already know how to operate it and use it.
                    Of course the *only* intent is to get money and try as hard as they will to control and squeeze you. They don't care about, and can't stop, normal users, it's companies that these things are targeted towards. It's copyright and patent reform that is needed to stop these greedy malicious assholes.

Originally posted by waucka View Post
                    Personally, I will use my DSLR's HD video recording capabilities for whatever purpose I damn well please, and if the MPEG-LA wants me to pay them for the privilege of using my property to earn money, they can take their damn license fees from my cold, dead hands. Bastards.
                    Yep, but they don't care about you, just big targets i.e. massive companies. Laws need to be changed to stop these vulture companies like MPEG-LA. Until then, abusing the system as you're suggesting may be the better route as it may help to de-legitimize laws like these, but I'm definitely no expert on the best course of action to fight back.

Comment

Out of the box support when?

To make this news a little more noob friendly, is there a good tutorial/example of how to get it to work?
                      I need to ask some questions before I know this is good news:
                      Does this work only with the proprietary catalyst driver?
                      What hardware does it work on? HD3xxx+ 4xxx?
                      Should it work by just installing Catalyst via Ubuntu 10.04's restricted drivers manager, or are there additional/different steps? (Download directly from amd/ati & follow cchtml, + install xvba package, any extra dependencies?
                      Is there a .deb package anywhere, or does this the plugin have to be compiled & manually updated all the time?
                      Finally, are mplayer, vlc, totem or other video players that I download from the stock ubuntu repos ready to use this?

Basically how close are we to out of the box vaapi support with ubuntu 10.04 & an ATI 4670?

Comment

Working...
                      X