X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAMiKAZOW
    replied
    Originally posted by mugginz View Post
    If there's one benefit to come out of the KDE 4.0 debacle it's the clear demonstration that some things (especially base infrastructure) shouldn't be deployed too early.
    I don't know what you're talking about KDE 4.0.
    All major Linux distributions except Fedora kept KDE 3.5 and did not ship 4.0 by default. Kubuntu had an unsupported Technology Preview with 4.0, but it was clearly marked as such. Similar for openSUSE and Debian.
    If you chose to use a technology preview and override the defaults, it's your fault. Don't whine about it then.

As for Gnome 3.0: The base infrastructure is still basically the same as Gnome 2.x.
    Gnome 3.0 is not a massive rewrite.
    It's still the same old stuff, just will a new desktop panel.

Leave a comment:

• mugginz
    replied
    If there's one benefit to come out of the KDE 4.0 debacle it's the clear demonstration that some things (especially base infrastructure) shouldn't be deployed too early.

While I'm keen to have Gnome 3 for my desktop I'm not interested in using it day to day till it's ready and am glad it'll not be deployed as default too early. Because KDE 3.5 had some fundamental flaws for my particular uses and Gnome at the time wasn't very compelling to me, I was one of the many early adopters of KDE 4.0 and paid for that mistake with much instability and quirkiness. I think the Ubuntu guy's have rightly delayed it until 11.04 at least. It's going to save a lot of damage to the Ubuntu brand, that's for sure.

Leave a comment:

• unimatrix
    replied
    Good. Gnome shell is pointless. I vote never to use it at all.

Leave a comment:

• V!NCENT
    replied
    2014 might be realistic. No I am not kidding.

Leave a comment:

• cl333r
    replied
    Reminds me of the "new Ubuntu theme" which has been postponed several times with the "next time for sure" motto. Gnome 3 was about to be released last year, but since then "next time for sure, we'll have time to fix more bugs". Obviously the time schedules and plans have been unrealistic right from the beginning. Remember how Gnome devs planned by 2010 to have 10% world market share? haha

Leave a comment:

• ethana2
    replied
    I hate how ubuntu wikis are https, I can never see them from this HTC Incredible or my dad's Droid.

Leave a comment:

• thefirstm
    replied
    cue the flamewar

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Ubuntu 10.10 To Not Use GNOME Shell By Default

Ubuntu 10.10 To Not Use GNOME Shell By Default

Phoronix: Ubuntu 10.10 To Not Use GNOME Shell By Default

Mark Shuttleworth, the founder of Ubuntu and its parent company Canonical, has answered a number of questions via IRC from the Ubuntu community today during the Ubuntu Open Week. The first question asked to Mark was whether the GNOME Shell would be used by default in Ubuntu 10.10 (a.k.a. the Maverick Meerkat) and here is the response:..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X