Other Highlights For GNOME 2.31.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
    KDE does look like crap, washed out gray colors with buttons and icons anchored to it giving me an immediate brain damage .
    You mean the shades of gray Apple, Microsoft and KDE now uses after user interface design figured out it reduced the headaches from staring at fierce colors all day?

Oh wait... Gnome vanilla is also gray... Oops?

Comment

This time, I think I'll just sit back and have fun.

Btw, the white-space-on-menu thingy is supposed to be a feature, not a bug. I still think it's an idiotic design decision, but there you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        This time, I think I'll just sit back and have fun.

Btw, the white-space-on-menu thingy is supposed to be a feature, not a bug. I still think it's an idiotic design decision, but there you have it.
        Gnome sucks! It is just like Windows 2k! Gnome users are idiots!

You've got some work to do here, BlackStar ^^,

Comment

Are you serious? Congrats for the one who developed (and hopefully patented) such a great looking and useful feature!

Comment

Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
            Why would you like to say nothing's changed in six months of development? Because you prefer to be a mindless troll instead of saying something with a grain of truth to it?

Just this week there were 2121 commits in 206 Gnome projects, by 275 developers...
            It depends what they're doing. Afaik they're in transition to Gnome 3, so the most of this is probably cleaning, converting etc. I suppose D2kx was talking about different things which are more useful for end users.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Are you serious? Congrats for the one who developed (and hopefully patented) such a great looking and useful feature!
              Yeah, the idea is that the first menu item is just beside the pointer (unlike, say, KDE, where you have to move the mouse diagonally to get to the first item). Makes sense but, to me at least, the empty space is so visually distracting that the first thing I do is scroll the menu until it disappears. Here is the bug report.

(That's a prime candidate for a usability test, btw. I can't be the only one who goes out of his way to remove the empty space!)

Comment

Makes sense but, to me at least, the empty space is so visually distracting that the first thing I do is scroll the menu until it disappears. Here is the bug report.

(That's a prime candidate for a usability test, btw. I can't be the only one who goes out of his way to remove the empty space!)
                The empty space is irritating too and I always did the same - scrolled the menu until it wasn't visible. I believe it's better to have a dialog filled in some items, so you can select interesting one faster. I'm sure there are many, many more people who want to get rid of this.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  It depends what they're doing. Afaik they're in transition to Gnome 3, so the most of this is probably cleaning, converting etc. I suppose D2kx was talking about different things which are more useful for end users.
                  Actually what I wanted to say was that I won't start the usual DE war this time and was serious when I said "good job, developers". Whether I actually think that a lot of exciting stuff happened is another thing. Well, it's too late anyway, the war has begun, so let me get some popcorn and I'll join BlackStar on sitting back and having fun.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    You mean the shades of gray Apple, Microsoft and KDE now uses after user interface design figured out it reduced the headaches from staring at fierce colors all day?

Oh wait... Gnome vanilla is also gray... Oops?
                    I too am sick of the grey. It at least needs some texture; the current default KDE theme looks like a boundless sea of grey. Making everything blend into a massive solid block of colour should be a thing of the past, it's about time people realised that. Don't get me wrong, I use KDE; it's the best of the rather lackluster choice available (imo).

The default gnome theme still looks like Windows 2000 to me, too. Gnome-Shell seems to use a inoffensive theme at least. Lets just hope Shuttleworth doesn't get his way and spray a billion tray icons all over the window borders. Seriously, the funny "design ideas" that guy comes up with. I can't work out whether it's that no one is willing to disagree with his absurd "usability" notions within Cannonical or that they are genuinely oblivious.

Either way I'm glad they have no significant role upstream, hopefully such ridiculous notions will be promptly laughed at and ignored.

Comment

Thats how I imagine Cannonical is working:
                      1. One evening Mark switches off his Macbook and boots up Ubuntu. He spots that something cool is missing. He comes up with an idea.
                      2. Ubuntu team implements it.
                      3. Cannonical: "Hey upstream we've got this nice new feature, you want it? Here it is, grab it."
                      4. Cannonical: "What do you mean we didn't consult it with upstream? What duplicated work? What standards?"
                      5. Upstream: "Can't reproduce it here, what version of Gnome are you using again?"
                      5. Cannonical: "S***, those bugs are killing us."

Comment

Working...
                      X