No announcement yet.

Other Highlights For GNOME 2.31.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everytime there is a news on Phoronix even remotly related to GNOME there is a sudden giant influx of mostly useless posts, often bordering on just being plain trolling.

For once I would like to just read the comments/forums concerning a GNOME related news and actually read some discussion related to the story and not the 5015th variation of "And this clearly proves that GNOME fails/sucks/is useless" and "No you have no idea. insert DE here is so much better".

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
      Everytime there is a news on Phoronix even remotly related to GNOME there is a sudden giant influx of mostly useless posts, often bordering on just being plain trolling.
      That's because GNOME vs KDE is a holy war, just like Emacs vs vi and GPL vs BSD. People feel very passionately about such things, sometimes to the detriment of their ability to think rationally.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
        True, and often, the news doesn't even have to be related to GNOME.

Comment

I just thought of a crazy idea: Start a GNOME vs. KDE flamewar on Phoronix, and harness the heat energy, convert it to electricity, and use it to power the servers!

Comment

EoG can now display SVGs!! in 2010, Finally! ok, it renders svgs natively when zooming, but that is the natural advantage from vector graphic compared to raster graphics...

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
            Originally posted by hax0r View Post
            KDE does look like crap, washed out gray colors with buttons and icons anchored to it giving me an immediate brain damage .
            No, you had that before seeing KDE too.

He he

hax0r: how can you say that? You didn't know that it is possible to choose from many themes, which are not gray? kde-look.org
            About the icons, it is natural that you say that, if the Gnomeis remove all the icons from the menus...

Comment

Gnome annoyances

What I'd like to see is the fixing of a number of Gnome "annoyances". I don't call them bugs simply because they don't (as far as I can tell) lead to data loss or worse.

Take, for example, the quirky behavior of the default Gnome NetworkManager frontend (nm-applet) in a multiuser set-up. Only one user at a time can use nm-applet, as documented in this link (which references a couple of Ubuntu bug reports).

Or how about this nearly decade-old GTK dialog bug (which you can see in the pair of screenshots below):

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                No, you had that before seeing KDE too.
                Hah I can't deny that .

@KDesk: .

Comment

Originally posted by An(noymous)droid View Post
                  Or how about this nearly decade-old GTK dialog bug (which you can see in the pair of screenshots below):
                  + i want to be able to press k while in a dropdown menu and automatically scroll to the entries that start with k.

Comment

Lol when did I write this?
                    7 things that should seriously be done by the time 3.0 comes around:

a) 8pt default font
                    b) scrolling speed setting
                    c) metacity minimize rectangle animation idiotic thingy, dump it in favor of xfwm4 or stop hiding the key--/desktop/gnome/interface/enable_animations/enable_animations
                    d) provide some neat default theme and icons, make murrine the default gtk engine, and change the depressing brown folder icon--makes me want to jump out of the window
                    e) provide a neat start menu, even suse's gnome-main-menu is better than default, or change the default nooby, fat bars, seriously wtf?
                    f) get rid of some of the legacy shit...bonobo...anybody remember the save session paranoia...what a flipping lusers
                    g) nuke the gconf and xml bloat and do what kde did

and about the fonts, only on linux you'll see big, fat, fuzzy 10pt fonts in 640x480 res on 24" LCD burning up your retina.
                    This too:
                    Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    Anyone knows why nautilus is so slow at listing file in folders?
                    And when creating a new folder it takes like a second or two.. wtf.. no other file manager is so slow
                    ^ yes, this would be 8 on my list. Write to the mailinglists, since you're not alone . Sometimes it takes 4 or 5 times for nautilus to respond to shift+delete.
                    @An(noymous)droid; That bug/feature is so annoying .

Comment

Originally posted by waucka View Post
                      That's because GNOME vs KDE is a holy war, just like Emacs vs vi and GPL vs BSD. People feel very passionately about such things, sometimes to the detriment of their ability to think rationally.
                      You'll hardly see any GNOME users invading KDE threads telling people how bad KDE sucks. Many GNOME users couldn't care less about KDE. For KDE users however they seem to not let an opportunity pass by to bash GNOME. Perhaps hoping that's the way to lift KDE out of its irrelevance. I'm afraid not. GNOME is the king of the Linux desktop and no amount of bashing by the KDE minority is going to change that.

Comment

Working...
                      X