Lexmark's Linux Secret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    while I agree with anyone saying that the BR-Script3 drivers are not on par concerning performance and the "binary" drivers are NOT opensource or GPL - the BR-Script3 drivers / PPDs certainly ARE release under GPL !
    If I am not mistaken that only covers Postscript Laserprinters. Not the kind of printer the typical desktop user will have.

All the drivers for Inkjet printers and scanners, are as far as I can see binary only. And the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Even for the latest Brother models they still only provide a binary LPR with a (opensource) CUPS wrapper. And 64bit Linux binaries are nowhere to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob72 View Post
      If I am not mistaken that only covers Postscript Laserprinters. Not the kind of printer the typical desktop user will have.

All the drivers for Inkjet printers and scanners, are as far as I can see binary only. And the quality leaves a lot to be desired. Even for the latest Brother models they still only provide a binary LPR with a (opensource) CUPS wrapper. And 64bit Linux binaries are nowhere to be found.
      don't you read the instructions on Brother's site ?

the 32bit binaries also work on 64bit systems which I can confirm,

for the scanners however you need 64bit binaries

Comment

Or use 32 bit sane.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          I agree. I only buy computers/laptops/netbooks with Linux preinstalled, and I still need to find one in newegg. Actually, I think I spotted one or two in the past, but it's been rare.
          NewEgg is notorious for not having any Linux computers. Basically, any storefront which has high consumer visibility has been highly targeted by Microsoft to either hide or not provide alternatives. Linux on netbooks, especially in the U.S., has really suffered because of those deals. Thank you for standing up against the Microsoft tax. ^^ Never, ever, evereverever pay it! Of course no Linux users should have to.

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          On the Inkjet subject, I totally agree with others. It's a big scam. My quick recommendation is: if you need an All In One printer for occasional use, go for a cheap inkjet. If you are going to print frequently, go for Laser. Only do color if you really need it. Print your pictures with a web service. And be happy
          Print pictures with a web service? Didn't even know that was offered but it makes sense. A cheapo printer is indeed an option, but I prefer supporting companies that offer Linux support *and* don't screw their consumers over by locking down their ink/toner cartridges. Sure, the cheapo throwaways may be cheap because they're hoping you will use them enough to pay the $100 (usually more than the cost of a new cheapo printer lol) or whatever stupid price to be forced to buy new cartridges, but you shouldn't have to do all that. Printers should last a long time, and you shouldn't be treated like crap by corporations like that. Plus, what a waste of materials...

Comment

Working...
          X