Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    @BlackStar:
    I'll have to check out what font it is when I get home.
    If you want to check out something beautiful (and don't care about using non-copylefted fonts), try Calibri 11pt(*) with light hinting and RGB antialiasing as your desktop font (bump to 12pt bold for window titles and use a nice mono font for consoles). The result has turned Apple lovers into drooling Ubuntu fanboys before, for what that's worth.

(*) If this gets you ugly pixmaps instead of real fonts, check out the last post from this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/printthread.php?t=191597

About these stripes:
    Plasma is a desktop canvas. Everything is a widget. You can have a lot of different WM stuff and taskbars. Whatever you like.

All the widgets used to be just gray transparant, but then the desktop is too grayish and boring, so with the release of 4.3 Plasma startes having 'textures' on the grayish widgets. Given the fact that the taskbar is a widget too, those white stripes that you see are actually squarish tatoos. You can't realy see it because the height of the taskbar isn't large enough. It's not lile hey let's put stripes on it
    Interesting!

Originally posted by cb88
    Why do you always have to shout V!NCENT's name... ack I did it myself...DOWN WITH THE BLOATED DESKTOPS even LXDE is getting bloated

Is Fedora seriously using 1.1Gb there?

There is absolutly no reason why a standard Linux desktop should use more than 40Mb ram with a basic desktop and a terminal open (Even that is being generous) and yes I have attained this at some point with Archlinux and Icewm on a systen with 512Mb ram so it was becuase it was cramped
    What 40MB??? That's 5x times what Windows 95 used!!! Are you seriously saying that modern Linux is a more bloated piece of sh than Windows 95??!!1one?

Ridiculous!

For some strange reason, some people actually appreciate their OS using up all available memory. Have 8GB? Better use 8GB. Unused memory is wasted memory.

Comment

Vicent, your ram usage may be far less than the reported from the plasma applet.

This applet reports the cahche and buffer, which should alone take up alot of unused memory.

My netbook, running KDE 4.4, Chromiun and Gnome Network Manager, eats 227MB of memory, but by adding the cache it goes to 667MB.

You can accurately check this by using free:
      Code:
      $free -m
                   total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
      Mem:          1001        667        333          0        117        322
      -/+ buffers/cache:        227        773
      Swap:         1035          0       1035
      or by opening kinfocenter and checking the memory section:

Also, the taskbar and some other components of the plasma shell are only transparent when compositing is enabled. This is because they are not rendered on the Plasma Canvas. They are rendered as windows by X11.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        If you want to check out something beautiful (and don't care about using non-copylefted fonts), try Calibri 11pt(*) with light hinting and RGB antialiasing as your desktop font (bump to 12pt bold for window titles and use a nice mono font for consoles). The result has turned Apple lovers into drooling Ubuntu fanboys before, for what that's worth.
        I am not a fontophile :P It is sans serif 10 btw... And I have to admit that was a ugly scale error, becuase it seems to be normal now. Maybe the in-between-size caused the spacing to go ugly. However I have zero knowledge about fonts

Originally posted by Adriano ML View Post
        Vicent, your ram usage may be far less than the reported from the plasma applet.
        I don't realy care actualy; the more unused RAM cashed, the better

Also, the taskbar and some other components of the plasma shell are only transparent when compositing is enabled. This is because they are not rendered on the Plasma Canvas. They are rendered as windows by X11.
        Still, you can remove the default taskbar and replace it with a widget one... And with KDE 4.4.1 2D doesn't look ugly at all. Actually, transparancy is epicly fast (can't detact any lagging whatsoever... And no blackish crap that is supposed to be 100% transparent >.<

Comment

And with KDE 4.4.1 2D doesn't look ugly at all. Actually, transparancy is epicly fast (can't detact any lagging whatsoever... And no blackish crap that is supposed to be 100% transparent >.<
          I think you mean with KDE 4.4.2 I guess? 'cause for me this was still present with 4.4.1, but now it seems fixed with 4.4.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            I think you mean with KDE 4.4.2 I guess? 'cause for me this was still present with 4.4.1, but now it seems fixed with 4.4.2.

if you mean black corners arround tooltips, krunner, kicker and other things, it's fixed since KDE 4.3 You might want to completely delete

"~/.kde4/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/"

to make sure you don't have an older plasma theme with no composition variation. Don't worry, it will use the system default, which must contain something inside the

"/usr/share/apps/desktoptheme/default/opaque/"

directory to work as it is intended.

Comment

Ah so that was the problem. Well that was my last problem with KDE4...

There are now two things I realy want from it, which is a OpenGL wallpaper for Plasma, or was this already done with SC 4.4.x? And also Plasma sometimes still doesn't remember my widget location/size properly in some cases.

Other than that I love KDE4. SC 4.5 will probably be extremely epic

Comment

There are now two things I realy want from it, which is a OpenGL wallpaper for Plasma, or was this already done with SC 4.4.x?
                Like Marble running on your desktop instead of wallpaper? It's in 4.4.x

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  Like Marble running on your desktop instead of wallpaper? It's in 4.4.x
                  Yeah that!

How do I put it there? :P

Comment

Yeah that!

Right-click on the desktop, select "Desktop Activity Settings", and then choose "Globe" in the "Type" drop-down list. Then you get this:

IIRC, you're using Gentoo? In that case, you need to have the "plasma" USE flag enabled for kde-base/marble in order to get that option in the desktop settings.

Comment

Yeah that!

Like showed here (you probably want to install some plasma addon):

Btw. this video is a bit choppy, but it doesn't matter Marble as a desktop works great for me with os radeon driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X