GNOME Shell 2.29.1 Arrives w/ New Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkyHiRider View Post
    Hope there will be some kind of simple mode that disables the effects and just keeps a search bar similar to the one on Win7. GnomeDo is fine but native app is native.
    I don't think that Gnome Shell will make it for the Gnome 3.0 release. So I think Gnome is still going to default to regular Metacity. Gnome Shell's basic functionality requires composited desktop and such so there really is no way to use that without 3D support and such.

Gnome-Do, though, is a native application. GTK-C# is a officially included language in the regular Gnome stuff. Like python and C language support.

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
      I don't think that Gnome Shell will make it for the Gnome 3.0 release. So I think Gnome is still going to default to regular Metacity. Gnome Shell's basic functionality requires composited desktop and such so there really is no way to use that without 3D support and such.

Gnome-Do, though, is a native application. GTK-C# is a officially included language in the regular Gnome stuff. Like python and C language support.
      S basically GnomeDo only uses Gnome libraries and is optimized for gnome(heeds the guidelines for gnome desktop etc..)? I wonder why wasn't it merged into gnome, as it provides a great usability feature.

And I'm all enthusiastic about the Shell, but it will be a big scary things for many new users(especially those less tech that are scared of everything new or are thinking of switching), but I guess the Gnome team knows what they're doing

Comment

Originally posted by drag View Post
        Compositing has nothing to do with 3D, that being said gnome-shell does indeed require OpenGl (and that is not supposed to change) but seriously the attitude should be "fix 3D" not "avoid 3D" ...

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          Nobody expects all the work to be done by oct. It is merely a starting point for the next release.
          It's a joke isn't it? Isn't Gnome progress dead slow? KDE SC, Windows and OS X will be light years ahead of Gnome in October. Personally I'd feel cheated if I'd be a Gnome user or if I'd have some distro with Gnome being default DE. What's the reason for you as the Red Hat for supporting it? It has your focus, because some of your boss, ex-boss or whatever is a gtk maker? Or maybe there are some real reasons? I'm really curious.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
            It's a joke isn't it? Isn't Gnome progress dead slow? KDE SC, Windows and OS X will be light years ahead of Gnome in October. Personally I'd feel cheated if I'd be a Gnome user or if I'd have some distro with Gnome being default DE. What's the reason for you as the Red Hat for supporting it? It has your focus, because some of your boss, ex-boss or whatever is a gtk maker? Or maybe there are some real reasons? I'm really curious.
            We support Gnome, because it provides the most sane, intuitive and consistent experience, as well as the best applications in the Linux world. It's that simple, really.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
              We support Gnome, because it provides the most sane, intuitive and consistent experience, as well as the best applications in the Linux world. It's that simple, really.
              I'm not interested in such bull. It's not sane, not intuitive and its apps sucks a lot. It's far from being consistent too. Btw. You probably didn't tried Fedora, because Gnome defaults are terrible there. If you try it, you'll probably realize they don't care about desktop. I want to hear REAL reasons and I want to hear it from Red Hat guys, because I'm not interested in other people opinions in this case.

Comment

Pretty much.

Also don't think that because you don't see huge sweeping changes in the UI that stuff is not going on. Gnome-shell is pretty radical UI change, to be sure, but stuff like proper Webkit integration is as important (for example). It increases the performance, capabilities, and stability of all the applications that have to display html formatted stuff in some manner.

Comment

I'm not interested in such bull. It's not sane, not intuitive and its apps sucks a lot. It's far from being consistent too. Btw. You probably didn't tried Fedora, because Gnome defaults are terrible there. If you try it, you'll probably realize they don't care about desktop. I want to hear REAL reasons and I want to hear it from Red Hat guys, because I'm not interested in other people opinions in this case.
                  Gnome is very customizable. If you don't like the defaults of a specific distro, you are free to change them or pick another distro with better defaults.

Besides, this kind of logic doesn't make sense: Kubuntu sucks hence KDE sucks. I'm sure there's a name for this kind of fallacy but I have better things to do than search wikipedia right now.

Comment

Besides, this kind of logic doesn't make sense: Kubuntu sucks hence KDE sucks. I'm sure there's a name for this kind of fallacy but I have better things to do than search wikipedia right now.
                    Ah, that brought me some memories back.

"All philosophers are mortal.
                    All philosophers are men.
                    Therefore, all men are mortal."

Somehow, philosophers were always involved in the examples they used to make us learn this stuff. And quite often in unfortunate circumstances such as in the one above.

Comment

If you want to ask Red Hat's opinions, you will have to find someone in the desktop team to talk to. I am not that person but if you want my personal opinions, I can tell you that.

I would note that Fedora doesn't modify GNOME upstream default settings much if at all since Fedora in general prefers to work with upstream as closely as possible. Red Hat does have a fairly large KDE team and the work being done within the growing KDE community of contributors in Fedora is exciting as well.

Red Hat has been a strong contributor to GNOME from the very early days (KDE wasn't a option then because of dependency on Qt which was then proprietary) and has continued to invest heavily including GNOME Shell at the moment. It is important however to recognize that a lot of the desktop investments such as D-Bus, NetworkManager or PulseAudio or PolicyKit to cite some recent examples are not tied to a single desktop environment and benefits everyone.
                      So if you are using Linux on the desktop and even if you are using KDE, you still benefit from the work that Red Hat has continued to do. So regardless of your preference, you can be happy about that.

Comment

Working...
                      X