Power & Memory Usage Of GNOME, KDE, LXDE & Xfce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
    That's some unthoughtful advice. Some people have better things to spend their money on.
    Most people, like me, are seeing a computer as a little bit more of a valuable nessecaty then others I guess. More than a car that is. If you' re doing it right you can upgrade your entire PC for no less than 300 dollars. If you can use that for 6 years than that's pretty much of a good investment. Unless you're talking food and a roof above your head I'd say there aren't a lot of things more important than a computer...

Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Which is a horrible price hike when ~2 years ago it cost 20$.
    Realy? DDR3?

Comment

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      Realy? DDR3?
      No, DDR2. I still see no need for DDR3, except that due to ddr2's price hike it will soon be cheaper...

Comment

• Some subjective testing

I did a little *subjective* battery testing on my laptop (Core Solo 1.06Ghz ULV, Intel 945GM, 2GB RAM, SATA HDD), pitting KDE 4.4.5 Kubuntu 10.04 vs. latest (stable) gnome version in Ubuntu 10.04. I noticed essentially no difference between the two. Compositing enabled in both, doing basic things like reading/scrolling/opening documents (mostly pdfs), text editing, and web browsing mostly. I imagine the important thing is that I try to use programs intelligently, which means almost never scrolling (I use page downs instead) and disabling/quitting programs that cause a lot of wake ups according to powertop. Maybe if I ran my laptop on the battery as I would from a power source things would be different, but do (sensible) people do that?

I find this quite satisfying actually because I like KDE quite a bit more than gnome (especially because of Okular, Kile, Kopete, Dolphin, Gwenview and plasma-desktop vs their gnome counterparts), and while KDE feels sometimes a bit more sluggish than gnome (I think mainly for opening more feature-filled apps), it's not a problem if you already have them open when you move to battery power.

Comment

• More real-world test

It would be nice to see this test redone from a more realistic usage perspective. E.g., it would be nice to see the computers set to do some light/moderate web browsing with some text editing/word processing, file navigation, etc. in between.

The tests done here are so far away form real world usage that one has to wonder how useful they are.

Comment

• These tests need to be redone today: power and memory usage of gnome, kde, mate, xfce... and no ubuntu this time please!

Comment

• Signed.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

• Retest, Retest, Retest

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                These tests need to be redone today: power and memory usage of gnome, kde, mate, xfce... and no ubuntu this time please!
                There are great version shifts and changes between these results from 3 years ago and now, I really think you should consider doing this test again Mr. Larabel

Comment

• second that

Originally posted by nonkreon View Post
                  There are great version shifts and changes between these results from 3 years ago and now, I really think you should consider doing this test again Mr. Larabel
                  I second that...

I did run these test on my laptop for lxde and xfce... both seem improved, but than again... the kernel also got a lot better (I'm testing on 3.12 rc4)

p.s. should we try the 'report post' function to get michaels attention? >:|

Comment

• Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                    I second that...

I did run these test on my laptop for lxde and xfce... both seem improved, but than again... the kernel also got a lot better (I'm testing on 3.12 rc4)

p.s. should we try the 'report post' function to get michaels attention? >:|
                    I'm new around this place, and the report function is noted to be only used for harrassment, thus with my reputation the report post is very risky
                    But you are always welcome to report my post to get Michael's attention

Comment

• Originally posted by nonkreon View Post
                      I'm new around this place, and the report function is noted to be only used for harrassment, thus with my reputation the report post is very risky
                      But you are always welcome to report my post to get Michael's attention
                      *Grinn* I don't think my streetcreds are enough either.

Comment

Working...
                      X