Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE4 memory usage vs KDE3 => benchmark ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using Fedora 13, but both KDE3 and KDE4 are compiled and installed manually.

I hate Fedora's default GCC flags, they are insane.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      OK, here are the real world results:

Memory usage before and after the start of:

Code:
      KDE3:
                   total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
      Mem:       3942172     383688    3558484          0       3928     101748
      Mem:       3942172     576068    3366104          0      30376     199300

Total: 187MB

KDE4

Mem:       3942172     386824    3555348          0       4660     10475
      Mem:       3942172    1073012    2869160          0      24796     605136

Total: 670MB
      Both environments were run with an empty, new profiles, and four applications which I just ran and kept open:

Akregator, Konsole, Konqueror and Kolorpaint.

Now, don't tell me KDE4 doesn't need a huge optimization.
      congratulation, you just measured crap.

Comment

Comment

If you know php just fix pts.

Comment

I run KDE4 on my grandparents computer which they use for email internet etc... and KDE4 is definitly less optimal than KDE3

It shouldn't require more than a 2Ghz celeron and 512Mb ram to run the desktop itself snappily (which it doesn't)

I still run KDE3 on my laptop from the kde-sunset overlay on gentoo just because I like it that much more interface wise... some of the utilities are more polished in KDE4 but meh... I dislike the whole UI rendering and caching mentality they are using it makes it feel sluggish IMO compared to KDE3 it could be some other completion that causes it but that is what comes to mind.

If you think KDE4 uses less ram I don't know what you must have been smoking... its bigger and slower. The exception to that might be quad core desktops with Nvidia graphics there I can see how it might be faster.

Comment

Code:
              free -m
              Mem:           496        484         12          0         12        191
              -/+ buffers/cache:        279        217
              Swap:         1027          4       1022
              That's memory usage of kubuntu lucid on old thinkpad T40. One of the biggest memory hog is chromium browser. after closing that:

Code:
               free -m
              Mem:           496        372        124          0         10        174
              -/+ buffers/cache:        187        309
              Swap:         1027         11       1016
              So memory usage drops from 279MB to 187MB only closing browser with one tab open.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                I run KDE4 on my grandparents computer which they use for email internet etc... and KDE4 is definitly less optimal than KDE3

It shouldn't require more than a 2Ghz celeron and 512Mb ram to run the desktop itself snappily (which it doesn't)

I still run KDE3 on my laptop from the kde-sunset overlay on gentoo just because I like it that much more interface wise... some of the utilities are more polished in KDE4 but meh... I dislike the whole UI rendering and caching mentality they are using it makes it feel sluggish IMO compared to KDE3 it could be some other completion that causes it but that is what comes to mind.

If you think KDE4 uses less ram I don't know what you must have been smoking... its bigger and slower. The exception to that might be quad core desktops with Nvidia graphics there I can see how it might be faster.
                and you turned off composite and nepomuk/strigi of course ...?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                  I'm using Fedora 13, but both KDE3 and KDE4 are compiled and installed manually.

I hate Fedora's default GCC flags, they are insane.
                  Last time I tried Fedora had Gnome parts running in KDE (afaik there was also Metacity installed for some reason), so memory usage was higher - KDE libs + Gnome libs etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    Last time I tried Fedora had Gnome parts running in KDE (afaik there was also Metacity installed for some reason), so memory usage was higher - KDE libs + Gnome libs etc.
                    I don't run Fedora per se.

And trust me I don't have any pieces of Gnome here.

Code:
                    [birdie@localhost ~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i gnome | wc
                          0       0       0

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      congratulation, you just measured crap.
                      I hope you can put your money where your mouth is.

Comment

Working...
                      X