Kolivas Pushes New Kernel Responsiveness Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
    If one is better for desktop use, and the other for server use, maybe both should be? One that did best under both situations would be ideal though of course.
    Who will judge which is better for desktop? For me it's definitely CFS.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Who will judge which is better for desktop?
      How about Phoronix Test Suite?

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
        if you can get timechart set up (part of the perf program), you can do

perf timechart record sleep 10
        perf timechart

the first command will do a 10 second recording of the activity in your system
        the second command will turn the recording into a svg image.

with that, it's maybe possible to figure out what is going on, assuming the actual stuttering can be captured (if it's very reproducable, it should be)
        I thought this problem gone when I bought a new hard drive, but it's still present. I'm using 2.6.33 kernel from Ubuntu PPA. I caught some characteristic which doesn't look good (a lot of red on Plasma-desktop ;>). I will send you a link to svg file or maybe I should report it somewhere else? This is a screen shot if someone's interested:

@Pejakm

If only some good tests will be used Last time BFS was faster at Phoronix, but at least one of the tests was meaningless - apache benchmark. If some problems with BFS are already solved and if someone will proof it's better on desktop then it will be nice to have them both in the mainline.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          Seems to me that more often than not, his work is unusably buggy and makes things explode in MS like frequency.
          [citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by pejakm View Post
            Measuring Latency is not easy, benchmarks don't help here.

Comment

Originally posted by Yfrwlf View Post
              If one is better for desktop use, and the other for server use, maybe both should be? One that did best under both situations would be ideal though of course.
              BFS being better than the kernel is currently an assumption more than a hard fact.
              BFS did show that the scheduler in 2.6.30 and early had issues, great, but 2.6.33 has a vastly improved scheduler... not so sure where BFS is better.. I haven't seen any kind of somewhat objective results.

Comment

BFS being better than the kernel is currently an assumption more than a hard fact.
                BFS did show that the scheduler in 2.6.30 and early had issues, great, but 2.6.33 has a vastly improved scheduler... not so sure where BFS is better.. I haven't seen any kind of somewhat objective results.
                The improved behavior I get in my desktop and applications is all the proof I need I don't really care about the why and proving it to others. It works much better for me, and that's what I care about.

Comment

the png is not very detailed (yay zoomable svg) but it is really looking like you have the VM system working hard, and various things then turn IO bound.

It really does smell like a VM issue, but again, that's from a low res view..

Comment

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8334/latency.png

the png is not very detailed (yay zoomable svg) but it is really looking like you have the VM system working hard, and various things then turn IO bound.

If it's a VM issue, could adjustments in /proc/sys/vm make a difference?

Comment

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8334/latency.png

Thanks for your attention. I sent you link via PM to original image same time, but it's easy to miss it, because message notifications sucks a little at Phoronix

Comment

Working...
                      X