Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Good question and good point!

The awnser is because it is turned into a zombie.

In other news: Kwin gets tiling support and becomes the most feature rich WM that does xrendr, opengl and has fallback for software.

kthnxbye, your KDE fanboy...
    Except it apparently doesn't support GIMP's utility windows, so it sucks!

In all seriousness: wouldn't it be great if Kwin's tiling scheme supported GIMP so it would start up in tiles next to each other? I'm all for moving all the tabbing and tiling support out of the UI toolkits and into the window managers.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      Hmm, I smell the tasty sound of flames. Run for the hills!
      What hills? The Irish hills of Windows XP? (default wallpaper)

Well... the learning curve shouldn't be too hard, although Gnome is still @ Windows 2000...

Lols just screwing around with your trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Remco View Post
        Except it apparently doesn't support GIMP's utility windows, so it sucks!

In all seriousness: wouldn't it be great if Kwin's tiling scheme supported GIMP so it would start up in tiles next to each other? I'm all for moving all the tabbing and tiling support out of the UI toolkits and into the window managers.
        Afaik Gimp will be using single window mode in the future:

Any other application using such utility windows?

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          Yeah GIMP looks quite nice in single-window mode:

Any other application using such utility windows?
          Cinelerra.

Comment

Originally posted by monraaf View Post
            Yeah GIMP looks quite nice in single-window mode:

But would it not be much more flexible if those windows were all tiles in Kwin? Then you could rearrange them however you'd like, and even mix windows from different applications! In combination with session management, you could have your entire desktop act as a giant IDE.

Comment

AFAIK it's just a mode, you can switch back to the old multi-window mode if you like. Here's the article the picture is from.

Comment

Many interesting applications require a compositor these days (and that's a good thing) but you can always fall back Metacity if need be.

Obligatory flame: I thought Gnome was a dead project? Why do they keep pushing updates noone wants?
                Hey. you mixed something up there, that was not my post.

Comment

Why would a compositing WM (Compiz) support non-composited rendering? Something doesn't add up here.

Or did you mean composited, non-OpenGL rendering (e.g. via an XRender backend?) I can see the appeal of that, but only insofar as OpenGL drivers are buggy.
                  Obviously for those people who don't have 3D support.

As far as I know XRender or "whatever you want"-Render would be possible with the 0.9 Version.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post

As far as I know XRender or "whatever you want"-Render would be possible with the 0.9 Version.
                    Well, OpenGL also works in software mode. The real trick is not to do anything that would take a lot of processing power. Whether you use OpenGL or XRender or whatever doesn't matter much. Unless there are graphics cards that only accelerate XRender. But if they exist, is anyone using them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                      Well the solution is to fix 3D support not avoid it even in 2010 ...

Comment

Working...
                      X