Compiz Now Supports KDE 4.4 SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    why should I use compiz? for what reason?
    If Compiz devs want to support KDE it's nothing wrong. KDE doesn't loose on this

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      Compiz should just focus on GNOME and put and effort to get itself integrated with that DE. I'm guessing the GNOME guys are having none of that, or the Compiz guys are happy with the way things are right now. Compiz is nearly useless in KDE, mostly because it breaks stuff. It's still nice to have the option though.
      I was gonna post that suggestion, but you beat me to it. Kwin + plasma = all you really need for desktop effects. I guess they did this just to pacify the diehard compiz users.

Comment

Originally posted by sundown View Post
        Seriously, who uses newest KDEs with compiz and why? I want to know.
        I'd like to know that too... Kwin > Compiz when it comes to features. Up next: tiling support. Hells yeah.

I always found Compiz to be a bitch, although it wasn't really intended for stable mainstream use yet (it showed horribly) and now that they switched to C++ (or did they switch, fork, fuse after that again?) it should mature.

Why not just replace metacity with Compiz for Gnome? Maybe the Metacity team is too busy working on both a WM and the scroll speed of a virtual terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Why not just replace metacity with Compiz for Gnome? Maybe the Metacity team is too busy working on both a WM and the scroll speed of a virtual terminal?
          Gnome 3 (September 2010) will use the "Mutter" (german "mother" - what a ridiculous name for a WM, but whatever) window manager and it will support desktop effects also (even though you can expect it to be very simple, not even close to KWin). Compiz will probably die then.

Comment

Can't we move this into a compiz bashing thread in the kde/gnome fanboys forums?

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
              Can't we move this into a compiz bashing thread in the kde/gnome fanboys forums?
              Why? Nobody here is bashing the DE's (in this thread). We are all questioning however questioning yet another braindead effort and waste of resources that compiz has put forward again.

Comment

well, back when compiz was started, there was nothing similar available. Compiz had it's warrant.

Unfortunately it was a new and experimental area and the result was a bit hackish, never quite stable, forked and reorganized a lot. And they didn't care much for integration or usability, just for lots of eye candy.

When moving to KDE 4.x, the KDE devs actually considered using compiz, but found it's window manager part beneath the compositor simply lacking. So instead of taking compiz and adding WM features, they took kwin3 and added eye candy.

Not sure what went on with gnome, but it was probably similar.

By now, compiz is a chaotic code-base that has been surpassed by other WMs. But I'd claim that neither kwin4 nor mutter would be as powerful as they are today if it wasn't for compiz, it's experiments and the knowledge it generated.

So, although I never used it and probably never will: thank you, compiz developers, for everything you did.

Comment

(I use Kwin)

Kwin is less complete than Compiz/Beryl/Compix Fusion/Compiz++/Compiz again. Plugins in Compiz are much better looking. Even the Wobbly windows effect feel nicer. The Fire on close, Aquarium, 3D window in cube and Expose plugings are much better than the KDE ones, I miss them.

But KWin have deep (deeper at each release) integration with Plasma, better tabbing support (as good as in Fluxbox), more future, more WM features, better integration with virutal desktops, finer per window settings and so on. I hope Kwin will become faster and nicer, but features wise, it is much better.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Question is for what? Kwin4 does pretty much everything that Compiz does, and at least in my findings, is far more stable.
                    Last time I had problems with Compiz must have been in the 0.6 branch, right now it's quite stable.
                    I would mostly use it because I use it right now with gnome and because it has some nice plugins which kwin doesn't.

So, the real question, and that applys for all of open-source, is: Why not?!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                      So, the real question, and that applys for all of open-source, is: Why not?!
                      well said . So long as it doesnt hurt anyone and the choice is there, why the hell not.

Comment

Working...
                      X