Compiz Now Supports KDE 4.4 SC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
    I'm curious to know how many KDE users use compiz, I'd imagine most KDE 4.x folk use kwin instead
    I do... I find it to be much more and customizable than kwin.

Comment

Even the Wobbly windows effect feel nicer.
      That was something I definitely noticed too.

Also, with open-source ATI drivers, some of the kwin effects are unsupported (is the same true for Compiz?).

Comment

Originally posted by Elv13 View Post
        (I use Kwin)

Kwin is less complete than Compiz/Beryl/Compix Fusion/Compiz++/Compiz again. Plugins in Compiz are much better looking. Even the Wobbly windows effect feel nicer. The Fire on close, Aquarium, 3D window in cube and Expose plugings are much better than the KDE ones, I miss them.
        FYI, you can tweak the physics of wobbly windows in KDE to make it act very close if not exactly the same. You can also have the windows hover above the cube for KDE as well with Kwin 4.4.

Comment

Also, Michael, should that be KDE Plasma Desktop 4.4 (instead of KDE SC 4.4)?

Comment

FYI, you can tweak the physics of wobbly windows in KDE to make it act very close if not exactly the same.
            I'll look at that, thanks.

"Mutter" (german "mother" - what a ridiculous name for a WM, but whatever)
            Metacity with Clutter = Mutter :P

Comment

Why use Compiz instead of Kwin?

Well, Compiz has more effects, etc. And a bit more polish as well.

But the biggest plus is the fact that you can use mouse buttons to control the way Compiz works. Say, fading a windows opacity, or when using zoom, etc.

When using KWin, and you want to zoom into the desktop you have to use keyboard shortcuts. At least you did up till 4.3.2 (Haven't tried KWin with 4.4 SC yet)

I'm surprised just how good KWin is, but I don't think it has feature parity with Compiz yet, and if the KDE 4.4 window decorator support brings KDE window tabbing into Compiz then that would be pretty awesome.

Comment

All of what you mentioned can be done with kwin too.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  All of what you mentioned can be done with kwin too.
                  When did KDE add support for mouse button control of KWin effects, etc.

It certainly wasn't in there as of KDE 4.3.2.

There were hacks you could use to get around it by using background programs to remap mouse clicks, etc. into keyboard sequences but this doesn't really count as standard support.

Comment

I remember stuff like "Shift+MouseWheel to fade in/out" being in KWin since ages.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      I remember stuff like "Shift+MouseWheel to fade in/out" being in KWin since ages.
                      I think you're thinking of Compiz, not KWin.

Try it out under KWin and let me know what you find.

My current system with KDE 4.4 SC still wont allow me to assign mouse based shortcuts to the Zoom efect for example.

Comment

Working...
                      X