X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• val-gaav
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    sizeof(Ubuntu + Fedora + Mint + Debian) = 2 * sizeof(openSUSE + Mandriva + PCLinuxOS)
    I'm an ubuntu KDE user ... When I used debian I also used KDE ... I guess in your little statistic I am a Gnome user ... Oh well ...

Really looking at distrowatch to try to measure what desktop environment is most used is just dump...

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by hdas View Post
    Erm, by 'locking screen', I meant if it is possible to lock the screen. When I use the lock screen button, nothing happens. Same if I do from the command line, "qdbus org.kde.screensaver /ScreenSaver Lock", throws up dbus error.
    No issues to note on locking the screen either. Clicking lock screen immediately blanks the screen and asks for my password to unlock it.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Sixpack
    replied
    Originally posted by leidola View Post
    I don't agree with you. There is at least one thing you can't do using Qt I wanted to do in my application:

I created a viewer/analyse tool for simulation data I generate using a monte carlo simulation, which runs on a headless cluster. This tool also generates some nice graphics in batch mode. Using cairo this is quiet easy: you create your PDF/eps drawing context and just draw to it. This works without X11. You can create the same images with Qt using the QPainter class (which is in turn used by QPrinter) to create a pdf/eps file. BUT you need an instance of QApplication, which in turn needs a working DISPLAY variable -- and this is simply not available on a headless number cruncher. I know that there are ways to resolve this (fake X server etc.) but this is not my point.

GTK+ seems to follow more the good old Unix spirit of having one good tool for a special usage and combining multiple tools for doing a special task. GTK+ uses a good drawing library (cairo) for drawing stuff and a very nice C library (glib) for strings, memory etc. But all the components which are uses by GTK+ function on their own. You can even use cairo in SDL for drawing stuff. The integration of Qt is not always good. That's why they split it in later versions. But maybe they didn't think that a console application might want to print something .

I programmed using both toolkits, GTK+ (using the plain good old C interface, gtkmm any python) and Qt (using C++ and python) and like them both. But the gtkmm and python interface of GTK seem to me more polished than Qt's counterparts though Qt seems more complete (feature-wise).
    <troll>So basically, you decided to design an app to run on a headless cluster - knowing that it might cause problems - and now you blame QT for requiring a display variable? Nice cop out shankapotomus!</troll>

In all seriousness though, I merely based my opinion on years and years of complaints from developers listing far too many problems than I can even begin to remember. Next time this conversation comes up I'll add your experiences to the tally. In all honesty though the score is like 135-7 QT.

Did you bring this situation to the attention of the QT developers?

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    Oh, and add a 'lafilefixer --justfixit' in between your depclean and revdep . More Gentoo paraphernalia these days.

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    Erm, by 'locking screen', I meant if it is possible to lock the screen. When I use the lock screen button, nothing happens. Same if I do from the command line, "qdbus org.kde.screensaver /ScreenSaver Lock", throws up dbus error.

And don't educate me on Gentoo basics , have been using Gentoo for half a decade, and kde 4 since same time last year (4.2 was good, 4.3 is awesome). Aside, again burnt my feet yesterday doing a 'revdep-rebuild', had to block the latest binutils-config package. Regressions, regressions, regressions. Sigh. And it rubs when this happens after 6hrs of 'emerge -Du world'.

And now, it seems that there are more serious issues. Dolphin hangs soon, throwing up and 'mutex lock' errors related to nepomuk. (Interestingly, have disabled Nepomuk and Strigi, but still nepomukserver shows up in processes.) Apparently a known issue, but a total show stopper for me. May be it is just me, but this is not production-ready . Will wait till 4.4.1 or 4.4.2 as usual.

Leave a comment:

• leidola
    replied
    Quick question: does any one have an issue with locking screen in kde 4.4 like me? There was some dbus error in .xsession-errors. Couldn't google it out. Also, why does it takes about 10-20 seconds to log out ..
    Forgot the first part: How do you log in? Are you sure you've a dbus and console-kit (in case you use it) session running? Did it work with KDE 4.3? Did you do a

Code:
    emerge --depclean && revdep-rebuild
    ?

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Quick question: does any one have an issue with locking screen in kde 4.4 like me? There was some dbus error in .xsession-errors. Couldn't google it out. Also, why does it takes about 10-20 seconds to log out .

Otherwise looks good as usual. The killer feature for me is the window tabbing - I am very impressed .
    Here on openSUSE 11.2 with 4.4 I haven't seen any locking screens. Log out wise it's pretty much click logout, hear the chime, back to login screen. No where close to 10-20 seconds though.

Leave a comment:

• leidola
    replied
    The killer feature for me is the window tabbing - I am very impressed .
    You could have had that for years -- You just had to replace kwin with fluxbox. But reading proposals on mailing lists of other window managers it seems as if the general interest in those tabs is not very big, developers generally don't think it's worth it/a good idea. Most apps which need them (browser, text editor) implement document level tabs anyways.

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    Oh, and I am on Gentoo .

Leave a comment:

• hdas
    replied
    Quick question: does any one have an issue with locking screen in kde 4.4 like me? There was some dbus error in .xsession-errors. Couldn't google it out. Also, why does it takes about 10-20 seconds to log out .

Otherwise looks good as usual. The killer feature for me is the window tabbing - I am very impressed .

Leave a comment:

Working...
X