KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hdas View Post
    Erm, by 'locking screen', I meant if it is possible to lock the screen. When I use the lock screen button, nothing happens. Same if I do from the command line, "qdbus org.kde.screensaver /ScreenSaver Lock", throws up dbus error.
    No issues to note on locking the screen either. Clicking lock screen immediately blanks the screen and asks for my password to unlock it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      sizeof(Ubuntu + Fedora + Mint + Debian) = 2 * sizeof(openSUSE + Mandriva + PCLinuxOS)
      I'm an ubuntu KDE user ... When I used debian I also used KDE ... I guess in your little statistic I am a Gnome user ... Oh well ...

Really looking at distrowatch to try to measure what desktop environment is most used is just dump...

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        No issues to note on locking the screen either. Clicking lock screen immediately blanks the screen and asks for my password to unlock it.
        Alright, assuming you are using standard ~x86 or ~amd64 packages from vanilla portage, without any overlays, I feel confident about going for the big one - 'emerge -e world' .

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post
          Alright, assuming you are using standard ~x86 or ~amd64 packages from vanilla portage, without any overlays, I feel confident about going for the big one - 'emerge -e world' .
          I wouldn't say I'm using the "standard" x86-64. I do use the openSUSE flavor packages.

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
            The KDE people probably knew this, as they probably knew that relying on something that wasn't optimised in the drivers would cause problems. But then, of course, if at some point you don't go for it you risk stagnation...tricky one.
            This is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by val-gaav View Post
              I'm an ubuntu KDE user ... When I used debian I also used KDE ... I guess in your little statistic I am a Gnome user ... Oh well ...
              So, Kubuntu? That's measured separately from Ubuntu, so don't worry you are not miscounted. Unless you are one of five people who have installed KDE over regular Ubuntu, which, sorry to say, means that you are just noise in the statistic.

Also note that openSUSE has a large Gnome user base but is counted wholly as KDE here.

In any case, this is not meant to be an accurate statistic (there are no accurate statistics where Linux is concerned). It's merely an indicator of relative popularity - and all distrowatch caveats apply here.

It's also an attempt to dispell the baseless notion that KDE is used more than Gnome.

Comment

I see the KDE devs still can't help themselves from shipping broken functionality.

They have "support" for OSX widgets on the Plasma desktop but it still crashes the whole Plasma session when you use it.

I wonder if they can appreciate that shipping bits that don't work properly just tarnishes the image of the KDE desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Hephasteus View Post
                  I use gnome because it drops the menu down from the top instead of the bottom bar.
                  No you do not use Gnome because of that, because any DE on any OS can do that since Windows 95, you total moron...

You like Gnome because you are an idiot and since Gnome is made for idiots (I like to quote the founder, creater and maintainer of the OS kernel it is running on) you like it

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  Was that even worth a reply?
                  Yes, to stop the suggestive BS.

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                  With the same hardware and same driver, KDE4 (with or without composition) is slower at many drawing operations than KDE3. How is this a driver issue?
                  Epic facepalm. The explenation? Do you realy want me to expose that you are a total idiot? Ok, here I go:

Konsole 4 uses the KDE4 foundation for which the driver you used to compare the performance is lacking acceleration feature for technology in used in the KDE4 foundation.

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                  V!NCENT not only did you miss my posts point entirly (which was about personal choice, entirly); but you are placing your beliefs as fact.
                  Fact = truth = state of matter.

What I said was a state of matter that you can see for yourself if you look at speed, stability, compatibility and features. Period. You BS stops right here, and right now!

Fact. More people use gnome.
                  No. Fact: L33F3R thinks more people use Gnome. Another fact: L33F3R hasn't made/read a statistical study in which all people that use DE's ar asked what DE that is. Nobody can, because computer users are not forced by law to disclose which software their computer is running.

It is true that numbers dont speak quality (or windows would be king, and kind of is unfortunately), But its a fact we just cant ignore.
                  Yes we can, because anybody, including KDE users, can look up what Ubuntu's latest features will be, without using Gnome. So even if Distrowatch was visited by all DE users, it would still not garantee anything. There is not a single conclusion to be drawn ouyt of this data, except for a part of their website statistics.

Myth. KDE is more functional.
                  What part of your brain is so bad, that it mistakes functionality for the term functional?

Just because you can make one environment look like another. or make it pretty. Or do this and do that. If your desktop environment can cook pancakes or give you oral sex. Different people have different needs.
                  You do realise that you aren't saying anything with that post, do you?

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  Sorry, it was not me who mentioned gnome-terminal first. However, it was you who couldn't accept that Gnome might perform better than KDE in some things.
                  Believe me, I can totally accept that the only thing that Gnome is good at (or worse depending on one's idea of good) is the scroll speed of the virtual terminal in Gnome. In fact I am laughing my ass of that you have to go through such difficult hoops to deffend a DE with the single argument of the scrollspeed of its virtual terminal.

The reference to xterm was tongue in cheek because, frankly, who the hell cares whether xterm runs faster or slower on KDE3 vs KDE4? Or konsole for that matter?
                  And there your only pro-Gnome counter argument just flew right out of the window.... I don't even have to kick your ass, because you are kicking your own already.

Personally, I just wanted to see how long would it take for someone to mention Gnome once I bashed KDE4 (without mentioning Gnome at all). Think of it as an insipid social experiment on the mechanics of trolling.
                  Some people remember other peoples actions and prefferences and can place things in context. This is not a social experiments, but people who got tired of your pro-Gnome trolling...

Considder your curiosity a hindered social development problem. You, because you are a troll, would make an interesting social experiment instead.

It's also an attempt to dispell the baseless notion that KDE is used more than Gnome.
                  No it was an attempt to create a foundation for the baseless notion that GNOME is used more than KDE. It failed horrible because of the points you have stated in the post I have quoted this quote from.

Comment

Well here is the problem with Distrowatch's "rankings". One the big ideas behind it is that it is a central page where people can go to see what the "other" distros are doing. I for one rarely check the openSUSE page as I already have all the info I need on it from openSUSE's mailing lists, forums, irc, bugzilla, etc. What I do use it for though is for check out items like "what kernel is xyz distro using? what features does xyz have?" etc. So by it's rankings I'm anything but a openSUSE user.

Comment

• Lol @V!NVENT.

@deanjo: distrowatch is not worse than any other internet "poll", like the ones in phoronix, linuxquestions or even google trends. Not better either.

Even so, you cannot deny that Gnome-centric distros seem to generate more interest than KDE-centric distros. Or do you have some evidence that this image does not reflect reality? (which, btw, seems to agree with distrowatch in relative numbers.)

Comment

Working...
                      X