Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Face it: Gnome does fscking suck!
    calm down. top 3 distrowatch entries are gnome distros. You cant tell me, or anyone else that something sucks when you are wrong entirely. It boils down to personal preference so telling someone to like something else is near pointless. No matter how much you bark, those who agree with you will still agree with you and those who dont agree with you wont.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
      calm down. top 3 distrowatch entries are gnome distros.
      So by using popularity as a benchmark I guess Windows is the best desktop de, followed by OS X. Just sayin....

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        OpenSuSE sucks both of my balls. The only thing that's good about it is that Novell makes it and they put a lot of effort in KDE. The bad part starts even before you run it for the first time... The installer takes three times as long as the Windows XP install that formats a terabyte drive. It's absolutely horrendous...
        Sorry but that is a bunch of horseshit. Even on a atom based system it takes less then 10 minutes with a DVD install, a live CD install is even considerably shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by KDesk View Post
          Hehe, what kind of people cares about console scrolling speed, does a benchmark about it, and worries about the result???
          The speed of Konsole in my machine is fast, I don't feel any slowness.

KDE 4.4 is a very nice release, I would switch from GNOME to KDE, but I'm happy because I already use it.

It is even possible to configure KDE to look as GNOME, with some plasma widget in KDE-look.org
          there was a benchmark which compared all of the x-terms some years ago and gnome-terminal was the clear winner - xterm was the slowest

I don't know where it was published anymore but it probably was linux magazine

Comment

What V!NCENT said.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              calm down. top 3 distrowatch entries are gnome distros.
              I am calm, but text based communication doesn't allow for much punctuation :P Besides... popularity-wise you think Windows > Linux...

You cant tell me, or anyone else that something sucks when you are wrong entirely.
              Everything I have said in relation to Gnome are pure facts. For the suck part: If something sucks than it means it is useless. Well since Gnome no longer has a point for its own existence and has nothing standing out from anything else out there, it does actually suck. For the people that like minimalism, compatibility and speed XFCE kicks the hell out of Gnome. For the people that like functionality there is nothing that beats KDE 4.4. You point?

It boils down to personal preference so telling someone to like something else is near pointless.
              There is nothing to prefer about Gnome above XFCE and KDE, but the design of the interface, which KDE 4.4 can also perfectly copy (it has already done that for people who like the theme, style and art).

No matter how much you bark, those who agree with you will still agree with you and those who dont agree with you wont.
              No matter how much you bark, facts will not change.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
                So, what is (or will be in the near future) a good distro for trying out KDE 4.4? I assume Gentoo would be the obvious choice, but are there any other distros, livecds, etc. that are likely to work well?
                You could try Mandriva. in the past I quite liked it.

Nowadays i use Gentoo with kde4 like you anticipated.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
                  there was a benchmark which compared all of the x-terms some years ago and gnome-terminal was the clear winner - xterm was the slowest

I don't know where it was published anymore but it probably was linux magazine
                  What about running the same test with gnome-terminal and konsole, but then 1000 instances of both at the same time?

That makes not only Konsole win because of shared resources, but is also just as pointless in the KDE versus Gnome discussion because I can point at a hundred points at which KDE is better at than Gnome.

Scrolling speed of the default terminal... Does Gnome have nothing better to offer to hint at?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Sorry but that is a bunch of horseshit. Even on a atom based system it takes less then 10 minutes with a DVD install, a live CD install is even considerably shorter.
                    I have used SuSE since version 6 I believe, and it had always been horrible.

The last time I checked the install speed was with the first version of OpenSuSE that came with a Qt 4.x installer.

For a full HDD replacement (Samsung 1TB sata drive) it took 2 hours. Fact. Kubuntu 9.10, in the same setting, took 20 minutes on that very same system. Fact.

I do hope that since that release, things have changed. Otherwise your argument is lie.

Comment

I thought this thread was about KDE 4.4.

Comment

Working...
                      X