Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Phoronix: KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Following an unplanned release candidate, the final version of KDE 4.4 Software Compilation has been released. KDE 4.4 delivers on improvements to Plasma, the various KDE applications, the KDE 4.4 platform, and many other areas...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The new kde.org is beautiful! 4.4 is great too :P

Comment

Yes, go Kde 4!!!!

Comment

KDE sucks. Why don't you people just use Gnome? Everybody else does.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Lol. I hope you get banned for trolling

Comment

KDE4.3-4.4 are great! I'm just thinking about switching to main use of kde after my exams took place.

for my laptop i'm not quite sure if it's a good Idea to switch. Does anyone know how hardly it impacts battery life in comparison to gnome?

Comment

Who's the other guy that uses gnome?

Comment

Oh look everybody's jumping off a cliff!! You'd better hurry!

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
                  Does anyone know how hardly it impacts battery life in comparison to gnome?
                  not sure about gnome or even actual battery life, but when upgrading from kde 3.x to 4.x I noticed that my laptop got significantly hotter. I'd guess it was due to compositing and animating everything, resulting in higher GPU frequencies.
                  Disabling compositing or switching to the lightweight XRender based mode might have helped. No idea, I went back to 3.x because 4.2 failed every time I attached an external projector. I'll have to try 4.4 again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    Who's the other guy that uses gnome?
                    That was quite clever.

I'm not big into the whole KDE vs GNOME fanboy nonsense, but I think it's more than fair to compare them from a technical standpoint. The biggest selling point of Gnome 3 was gnome shell. Well now we have a problem:

http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.4/

If you look at the videos, almost everything Gnome 3 promised is already implemented with the updates to Plasma. All fanboy BS aside, Gnome is yet again lagging behind KDE in terms of features and functionality. As usual, Gnome is saying they're going to implement something, while KDE is too busy actually producing.

Comment

Working...
                    X