No announcement yet.

KDE Software Compilation 4.4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indeed. What's more, in recent times your mother has become more popular than the three best selling KDE distros combined together:

Source

Kubuntu
    Mandriva
    Opensuse
    Your mother

PS. Hey, no hard feelings, please, I just wanted to join the trolling fest ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      distrowatch is not worse than any other internet "poll", like the ones in phoronix, linuxquestions or even google trends. Not better either.
      It is worse, because there are distros descriptions which aren't present in polls. People go there and read. Most of the newbies will probably click on the highest distros, then on some random, because they want to learn something new etc. If they would show operating systems which distrowatch visitors use I wouldn't be surprised if Windows would be one of the most popular "distros" at distrowatch.

Comment

• Hhahahhahaaa, damn, it was that easy.

Comment

• lol @ yotambien. very nice

Comment

• I pick up the gauntlet...

...and compare your mother with my mother. The internet at large is much more friendly with yours, it seems.

However, ubuntu is more popular than both combined (eat that KDE posers!)

I win.

Edit: I hate the 60'' edit window, this comments belongs two posts up!

Comment

• (In case someone wonders about the colors in the post above, apparently I'm color-blind too Did I mention I hate the edit window?)

Comment

Lol @V!NVENT.

@deanjo: distrowatch is not worse than any other internet "poll", like the ones in phoronix, linuxquestions or even google trends. Not better either.

Even so, you cannot deny that Gnome-centric distros seem to generate more interest than KDE-centric distros. Or do you have some evidence that this image does not reflect reality? (which, btw, seems to agree with distrowatch in relative numbers.)
                Well then look at this http://www.google.com/trends?q=gnome...ate=all&sort=0

Pretty much are even.

As far as "relative numbers" go, I think you might want to brush up on your math.

Google's search numbers put them at:

Ubuntu: 1.00
                Mint: 0.14
                Fedora: 0.13
                openSUSE: 0.04
                Mandriva: 0.04

Now we take Distrowatch's numbers for the last 12 months and put them in the same ratio.

Ubuntu: 1.00
                Fedora: .71
                Mint: .63
                openSUSE: .59
                Mandriva: .47

As you can see they differ greatly. A poll at least will give you feedback specific to the users situation where as something like google stats you have to make A LOT of assumptions as to where the end user is using defaults. What those people were searching for as well is not factored in either. Those numbers could just as easily be influenced by people looking for support on those distros because of the sheer number of issues they have with them. In the end both figures mean sweet fuck all without it being a controlled environment.

Comment

• Relative as in "larger than" or "smaller than". As you point out, there's little point in comparing numbers, there's too much variablity. Read that way, the only disparity is Fedora vs Mint vying for second place - which doesn't matter as far as Gnome-centric vs KDE-centric is concerned. In fact, both distrowatch and google trends place openSUSE and Mandriva last.

I stand behind my argument, available data doesn't fit with the claim that KDE is used more than Gnome.

Yet another source: linux counter project. How many KDE-based distros do you count under the "Distributions" table?

Maybe this all means nothing and it's all a big conspiracy to hide the fact that KDE is more popular than Gnome. Or maybe, just maybe, the claim that KDE is more popular is baseless.

If it isn't, where's the evidence? All I see is posturing that these statistics are inaccurate but I've yet to see a counterargument based on something other than hot air.

Comment

Relative as in "larger than" or "smaller than". As you point out, there's little point in comparing numbers, there's too much variablity. Read that way, the only disparity is Fedora vs Mint vying for second place - which doesn't matter as far as Gnome-centric vs KDE-centric is concerned. In fact, both distrowatch and google trends place openSUSE and Mandriva last.

I stand behind my argument, available data doesn't fit with the claim that KDE is used more than Gnome.

Yet another source: linux counter project. How many KDE-based distros do you count under the "Distributions" table?

Maybe this all means nothing and it's all a big conspiracy to hide the fact that KDE is more popular than Gnome. Or maybe, just maybe, the claim that KDE is more popular is baseless.

If it isn't, where's the evidence? All I see is posturing that these statistics are inaccurate but I've yet to see a counterargument based on something other than hot air.
                    See at the same time you have no evidence otherwise either. There is simply too many variables to even make a semi accurate guess when using statistics vs polls. Polls target specific items, a distro comparison does not.

Comment

• One other thing, the linux counter project is a bad joke, it's extremely outdated (as can be seen with the memory and hardrive size stats)and isn't close to being accurate with 119594 registrations.

You might also want to look at what google stats say when you compare suse to opensuse.

Comment

Working...
                      X