No announcement yet.

Adobe's Linux Video API Rant Extended

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to pay absolutely zero attention to that guy after his "Welcome to the jungle" post where he showed himself to be completely ignorant / disingenuous (see: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png).

Clearly Arts (irrelevant years ago), Jack (Totally different use than standard audio output) and OSS (irrelevant years ago) are such a huge problem for the audio stack on Linux.

I realise his post was intended to highlight the "travesty" of the audio stack on Linux but please, he could at least be honest about what is even applicable. Really only PulseAudio / GStreamer / SDL / libao to ALSA and then the output device are the only things that are even relevant.

What next? Making a list of every distro ever to exist and claiming choosing an enterprise distro is near impossible?

Comment

I got a kick out of Stephan's post,

I agree with jbus: perhaps you should move on. You're clearly not a Linux developer.
      And if this is the tone Adobe uses to deal with its userbase, I welcome HTML5 as a replacement.
      and Jon's post

In summary: If you have any issues understanding or using VDPAU, please feel free to contact NVIDIA. We'd be very happy to help you.
      as they show the industry is listening and are willing to help which contradicts his statement,

I've wanted to write this post for awhile but always hesitated since previous attempts at technical exposition largely fell on deaf ears.
      It seems the only "deaf ears" are his own.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        It seems the only "deaf ears" are his own.
        I find it sad. I used to view adobe as an innovator, a company that produced a product far superior to all others (Photoshop); I was also a big fan of inDesign. It is a shame that they have become so incompetent they cannot even provide stable video playback through a browser plugin, oh how the mighty have fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          I got a kick out of Stephan's post,

[something posted by Spencer]

and Jon's post

[something written by Stephen]

as they show the industry is listening and are willing to help which contradicts his statement,
          That site has very confusing feedback layout.

Comment

Originally posted by md1032 View Post
            That site has very confusing feedback layout.
            Hehe whoops, yup your right.

Comment

Mike's rant refers to "other stuff" that has to be done to the video on the CPU. The only thing Flash does out of the ordinary that I'm aware of, is its ability to encode a video alpha channel separately from the main video stream, and use that alpha channel to composite the video with whatever's behind it. Is there an OpenGL texture format that allows a separate alpha channel to be used? Or, if not, I'm sure a pixel shader could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoodlum View Post
                Decided to pay absolutely zero attention to that guy after his "Welcome to the jungle" post where he showed himself to be completely ignorant / disingenuous (see: http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/linuxaudio.png).
                That diagram is intentionally complicated. It's easy to create a much clearer diagram with few modifications:

It's all about layout and not trying to show everything.

Comment

Why on earth did you gray-out OSS there? If you're gonna correct the original "messed-up" diagram, at least don't cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                    Why on earth did you gray-out OSS there? If you're gonna correct the original "messed-up" diagram, at least don't cheat.
                    Seems to be missing a few connections as well such as Jack--->ALSA and the loopbacks of course.

Comment

As well as the direct connections from audio libraries to Alsa

Comment

Working...
                      X